Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Offering my beautiful GTV6 for sale.

1984 GTV6 3.0
Probably one of the finest 3.0 conversions in the US. Red/anthracite paint on unmolested straight body with no dents or dings, no accidents. Custom tan cloth interior (Recaro SE seats with mesh headrests). In California since new (until I bought it). Euro ride height. 3.0 V6 from 89 Milano Verde. Sperry stage 2 heads. 164S cams. 3.0 exhaust manifolds. Alfa Heaven ECU and spark box (aka matching “Pandora’s Box” units). Koni adjustable yellow shocks. Really nice stereo w/ Alpine speakers and trunk mounted amp. Discrete iPod/aux input hookup through center console. Functional sunroof with intact handle surround. 4 Cibie headlights w/ relays. VDO auxiliary gauges (volts, oil temp, true coolant temp, oil pressure) w/ matching green illumination. Dash cover (no cracks). Magnaflow muffler w/ stainless slash-cut twin tips. Shankle sure-shift with new bushings. Trunk area is completely recovered with Recaro Black Avus cloth so it is nice, tidy and clean and ready to accept luggage for a weekend trip.

New/recent (last 15k miles)
Wheel bearings front and rear
Milano style clutch
Giubos (all 3)
Front and mid section exhaust (no cat, have NOS rear muffler with car, Cisam)
Brakes (performance rotors and pads, ATE Super Blue fluid)
Steering rack, dampener, and shaft coupler (had to re-use boots but have new ones)
Gear oil (AGIP Rotra 75-90)
New taillights (complete assemblies and boards)
New radiator fans
Rear hatch strut
Spark plugs
Air filter
Optima red top battery
Poly caster rod bushings
Refinished Campagnolo wheels
New tires

Issues
I’m not sure exactly of the mileage because the receipts show replaced speedometer some during its life. Speedometer and odometer do work now and speedo is accurate.
Dime sized surface rust spot in engine bay (from now removed A/C dryer).
A/C partially removed (condenser and 2 lines gone, other TropicAire components present including Milano compressor)
Reverse light switch inop
Paint curling at some mask line edges from imperfect prep (paint more than 10 years old). From 10 feet the car looks like show paint. Very deep gloss.
Wipers are slow like every other GTV6
2nd gear will synchro is weak but still pretty good. Typical.
Recent inspection showed that driver rear caliper is damp but does not drip, fluid level stays constant…but to be safe plan on seals in the near future
Front end bushings and joints should be freshened. Have complete set of German (not FRAP!) components included. Needs rack boots replaced.
Oil consumption is about 1 qt/500 miles but no smoke whatsoever
It’ll be due for timing belt and water pump in about 10k miles

Summary
It’s not perfect but it is an excellent upgraded driver. I have used it as such and it has been garaged underground and covered during my ownership (in fact it seems like it has been garaged since new judging by condition). I have driven the car 12,000+ trouble-free miles in all weather except when salt present. The underside is absolutely immaculate. The car is very powerful, smooth, and responsive. It sounds wonderful (a bit loud) and if I did not need the space I would keep it forever. Car located currently in DC/MD/VA area. Sold thanks

A quick vid from a leisurely drive last fall:

More photos to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Any idea why it uses oil?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any idea why it uses oil?
Generally? Yes - it's a 12 valve version of Alfa's V6. They seem to. :)

Specifically? I would guess that the stem seals on the intake valves are not as good as when new. It doesn't foul plugs or smoke or anything like that - it just seems to use a little oil. 500 miles per qt is rather pessimistic - that's what the consumption was on the hottest days this summer when I was doing interstate driving between DC and Ohio. It depends on your driving style and type of driving... what's the phrase? Your mileage may vary?

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
racingswim2006: where did you get the Campagonolos refinished? Somewhere in the DC/MD/VA area? Mine need some work.

BTW, I have a red '84 with a 3L in the DC/MD/VA area!

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
racingswim2006: where did you get the Campagonolos refinished? Somewhere in the DC/MD/VA area? Mine need some work.

BTW, I have a red '84 with a 3L in the DC/MD/VA area!
Another GTV6 nearby...how come I've never seen it!?

But with regard to the wheels - no, not done in this area. I did those wheels in Michigan last year and then put new tires on them. If you want details PM or email me. You should anyway since you're in the area with a GTV6...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Best of luck with the sale, very nice looking GTV6

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have recently driven this car and been under it for exhaust work. It is very solid, as seen in the pictures, and the motor is very strong with a well sorted chassis.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feedback on the car, guys.

Had a very nice meeting with a fellow BBer today for a look and test drive. Then the car got a nice hand wash and wax in the cold...I took some requested photos - including one of what a new tail light really looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had a nice couple of days here and got to give the car a little bit of exercise sans salt. Still here!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe I can help?

I 'll post your GTV 6 on my website Mint2Me. Any interested parties will be sent back here to the AlfaBB for your contact info. As a fellow Alfisti there will be no charge. Been looking for a nice one to feature. Good luck.

Michael

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK time to post a few final requested photos (rad support), and a few video clips taken this week. This car is wonderful and each time I drive it I think not to sell it, but now I must. No space - and too many projects. This car really can be driven anywhere. I took it on a 750 mile trip a few weeks ago without any problems. I have had a couple of honest offers but I still have the car. Remarkable considering the clean white 2.5 with small needs sold almost immediately for around $8k. I think that the 3.0 164S Sperry Stage 2 conversion alone would be worth the difference, forgetting the REAL Recaro seats, stereo (if you even turn it on :D), etc.

I also performed some more preventative maintenance: replaced outer tie rods, one inner (have the other - but the first new one was buggered!), new steering boots (I also de-dampened the rack - still have dampener and brackets for new owner if he wants), performance alignment, new external voltage regulator, new headlamp bulbs, bled the brakes. The car drives beautifully, is very fast, and sounds ferocious under full throttle.

Here are a few videos. Cold start, warmup, etc. I really get on it at least once, so enjoy the sounds. The videos were fun - bad camera mounting makes some noise.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts