Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my alfa has been sitting for about 3 years with stabalizer, I placed a new fuel pump in it and it started up, I drove it on and off for a day and placed it back into the garage. The following day it would not start, baffled I checked for spark and got nothing. I lifted the distributer cap off and found it to be toasted so I got a new Cap and Rotor and changed them out...still no spark. Now I understand these items must of fried from the key being left on but the key was not in the vehicle from the time I drove it to the time I tried to start it again. Now i'm wondering if I fried the ECU too??? And why aren't there any points on the **** thing! These Italian engineers leave me clueless...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey clueless, '84's have electronic ignition.... no points. Three years... that's old gas even with stabalize. Top up with some fresh gas and wouldn't hurt to throw in some FI cleaner.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i've neglected the alfa for a couple of months as I attempt to finish my 1976 Volkwagen Westfalia, the **** thing still won't start, I have the manual and have checked what I could, no vehicles i've worked on have these sensors. Now i'm beginning to wonder if I HAD left the key in and on...in which case (other then the cap and rotor) what else could have fried? I am getting fuel through the system.

·
Administrator
17,449 Posts
Run through all the tests/checks outlined in the Spider L-jet page. L-jetronic is a system - all the bits have to work right for it to work at all.

Common issues are low battery voltage, poor electrical connections (especially grounds), old tired fuses (the bullet fuses in our cars can look OK but fail to actualy allow electrons to pass - replace them if they are of unknown vintage), and finally 'false air' (all air entering the engine must be metered by the Air Flow Meter for the computer to know how much if any fuel to inject otherwise it is called 'false' air).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only readings I got were from the primary on the coil, but not the secondary. also both the flywheel sensors showed nothing...is it possible that I fried multiple units?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Any last suggestions before I drop a grand having someone else figure this out.
-In storage for 3 years with stabilizer, took it out, ran Fuel Injector cleaner through, fired right up and drove perfectly.
-Placed it back in garage
-Next Day- Burnt Cap and rotor (may have left key in with ignition "on")
-Replaced both cap and rotor
-Cranks but doesn't start
-Charged battery, no spark
-Checked the l-jet site and did all of it
-Still notta

P.S-I hate sensors and computers!

·
Registered
what part?
10,076 Posts
don't hate sensors and ecu's.. they are probly ok, just some other part not working.. fuel filter? if it's old, and sitting on a car that did not run for a few years.. i would change that first.. cost?10-20$ time 1/2 hour, you can do this yourself, just use jackstands when working on the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
20 Posts
I checked my flywheel sensors for the hell of it, and the top ones wasn't showing any resistance, while the other showed 900! So maybe, maybe, maybe this is my problem.

Bosch Crank Position Sensor 0261210002 BMW 553 535 633 on eBay!

Alfa Romeo Magnetic Flywheel Sensors

I'm going to drive to a nearby Alfa shop to try and buy locally, but if they don't have it, is it true that the bmw flywheel sensor (top link) is interchangeable with the Alfa one?
This might be late for you, but for posterity sake and a little continuity for this thread... Yes it is true! I found this discussion yesterday and went out and bought a "crank position sensor for an 84 BMW 633" and got that Bosch PN 0 261 210 002. I found the lead just a little shorter than the 001 it replaced but it works and got me spark again!

And btw, just want to add my voice to the many that have found a lot of help through this community. I have gotten a recently purchased 85 Spider Graduate running by reading through quite a few posts. It had been sitting for some 3-5 years and passed to at least one non Alfa person meanwhile. There was both no fuel and no spark and I was able to successfully troubleshoot, identify and replace all the failed components from the in tank and main pumps to the flywheel position sensor mentioned above, and even found incorrect main & fuel delivery relays under the package shelf. Those relays were just the wrong type from someone's attempt at troubleshooting the problems without the expert help of the AlfaBB. :)

So thanks again.

·
Administrator
17,449 Posts
I bought a "crank position sensor for an 84 BMW 633" and got that Bosch PN 0 261 210 002. I found the lead just a little shorter than the 001 it replaced but it works and got me spark again!
Good to know. How did it compare price wise with the Alfa version? They are typically $90-$100. (I thought BMW stood for Bring Much Wampum.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got it for $65 + tax at the Bap parts store in Houston. Since I also have a couple of BMW's, I can tell you that Alfa parts seem to be higher in general (than non dealer bought parts) unless you do a bit of cross referencing and buy BMW parts for the Alfa. :)

HG
Good to know. How did it compare price wise with the Alfa version? They are typically $90-$100. (I thought BMW stood for Bring Much Wampum.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I finally got a new flywheel sensor and just popped it in, still nothing =(. The engine cranks with plenty of strength and fuel is being pumped but the thing just won't start! If I could just hear the **** thing vroom again it would heighten my resolve to finish it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I finally got a new flywheel sensor and just popped it in, still nothing =(. The engine cranks with plenty of strength and fuel is being pumped but the thing just won't start! If I could just hear the **** thing vroom again it would heighten my resolve to finish it
Sounds so familiar.

So you have spark, fuel, and it cranks. Are you sure you have fuel to the spark plugs? Have you tried spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body? In other words are your injectors pumping fuel into the cylinders? Sounds like the next steps to take.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds so familiar.

So you have spark, fuel, and it cranks. Are you sure you have fuel to the spark plugs? Have you tried spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body? In other words are your injectors pumping fuel into the cylinders? Sounds like the next steps to take.
I'm not getting spark, I pulled a spark plug and layed it against the block and cranked the engine-no spark. We replaced the coil with another one we had laying around from an Austin Healey I think but still to no avail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts