Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. I really love the site and everyone really brings some great information to the board! Our family has been avid car collectors for years but we are fairly new to Alfas. I had a quick question and wanted to see if you could help. I recently bought an 84 Spider Veloce and planned on using it as a parts car for my 85 Spider that needs some work. The 85 was my uncles and when he passed it was handed down to us in the 90's. It wouldn't run and has sat since the early 90's. Recently I decided that it was time to put it back on the road. Turns out when I went to look at the parts car it is in way to good of shape for a parts car. Now I will have 2 running Spiders. The one I just bought runs great. The seller planned on fully restoring but is a fulltime mechanic and has too much going on. He had replaced the engine with an 86 Spider engine. The original 84 had the mechanical VVT. The newer engine now has the solenoid activated VVT. It is currently not hooked up. Can I splice the solenoid into the harness pins 3-18 of the Throttle Switch? Just wondering how I could wire the solenoid to work. Also the other 85 Spider that we have has a locked engine from sitting up for 20 years. It ran the last time it was used. We have had penetrant and oil sitting on the pistons to try and loosen. Still no luck. I don’t want to push it too hard and crack a ring. Do you have any ideas about getting it unstuck? I hope to hear back soon. Really glad to be a member.

Also if anyone has the solenoid VVT assembly for sale let me know!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The VVT solenoid (two terminals) has a white plastic cover. in the cover is an SCR trigger circuit. You need this "cover". The trigger cover needs fused power, ground and the switch contact from the throttle. That is the way it came from the factory. There is no role for the ECU. Also you should note that the Bosch FI ECU changed at the time of the VVT switch to solenoid. Apparently different logic and the addition of the Altitude sensor.

Early FI ECU has a gold Bosch label, Late had a green. Don't have the part nos right now handy.

Elio

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elio,
Thanks a ton for the reply. So I should be able to wire it no problem even though the ECU has changed since it doesn't deal with the ECU? Can you tell a noticeable difference with the VVT?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Do you have the white nylon cap for the solenoid?
If not you should look for a used one.
Wiring of then is per the wiring diagram.
Yes there is a difference. Setting for VVT advance is at 57 degrees throttle opening if I remember correctly. You should also be set for the WOT contact to the ECU from the throttle switch.
Elio

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
If you don't have a solenoid, you will need to buy one as well.
The " VVT plug" connects and powers the solenoid.
Send a picture of what you have...we can then tell you what you need.
There are lots of threads on how to free a stuck engine...do some searches...good luck.
Elio

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
BTW,

I asked this question awhile back and the solenoid on S3 is the same as S4 in case you find one. Shouldn't be too hard I would think.

VVT Series 3 or 4

Good luck,

Vin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts