Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, guys

I need some advice, my 84 alfa when at idle the temp stays in the 110-117 range without driving the car just staying in the garage if I point to the radiator with a Infra red temp gun I register 80 degrees okay now if i take a reading by the thermostat I get a reading of 117 that seems to correspond with what I see in the temp gauge in the car.

Now, if i take and i drive my car and i have lets say 85-98 degrees my temp gauge shows 209-212 maybe a bit higher if I am waiting on a light. I have not stopped and checked with my hand held infrared meter what the temp is yet. and it stays in that range even during normal driving. this to me is to high is........
1. my temp gauge in the car be registering higher than it should once i get going?
2. is my thermostat not opening up all the way? ( I have a new one ready in case i have to change it).
3. Water pump going bad? ( no leaks etc)

I also want to mention I have a radiator that I had rebuilt in it and, a new radiator cap.

Any suggestions or ideas. :confused:

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
Water pumps usually fail by leaking.

I suspect you either have no thermostat or it is stuck open. Often, with a stuck open or no thermostat the coolant moves through the system so fast it doesn't absorb heat from the engine & lose it in the radiator. A functioning thermostat will regulate flow & keep temps steady.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay Thanks Eric new thermostat in and ill keep you posted as to what happens
Please do post results. I've been struggling with this same issue this summer in Denver, except my normal 180 temp reading at the gauge has been climbing consistently to the mark between 180 and 260. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I figure it's 220.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thanks Theo but one thing i did note is that the reading that I got from my hand held meter is about 20 degrees cooler than what it is on the temp gauge. 1 question.
Could the temp gauge be faulty? or would it be he sending unit that needs replacing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah thanks Theo but one thing i did note is that the reading that I got from my hand held meter is about 20 degrees cooler than what it is on the temp gauge. 1 question.
Could the temp gauge be faulty? or would it be he sending unit that needs replacing?
Good questions. I don't believe the temp gauge or sending unit are faulty. Up until this summer (about 18 months), the Alfa ran right around 180 on the gauge once warmed up. It now climbs to the 220 (or above) mark when sitting in 80+ degree heat in traffic and often gets back down to 180 after enough time with fresh air once traffic flows.

I'll spend some time here and on the Google machine trying to understand how a thermostat works and whether or not it could be the culprit.

Thanks for your quick response!

·
Registered
449 Posts
You might want to make sure you don't have an air bubble in the system. There are instructions on IAP's website for bleeding the system.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay guys I checked everything out changed t stat and checked my temp with a hand held temp gun infra red. My gauge in my car is running 20 degrees hotter than what it actually is this is after checking various spots near the t-stat radiator by temp sender. So my gauge it off. wanted to let you guys know

1 - 12 of 12 Posts