Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys

Was at the post office and I had something happen to me. I drove the alfa to the post office no problem. Then i took and started it and then it just died on me. I tried cranking it with no avail.
I looked under the hood and I found a yellow blade fuse on the left fender that seemed to have melted it was not in one piece and the rest was still in this fuse holder on the drivers side next to some wiring that seemed to be part of the ignition.

1. I am going to get a new yellow fuse but I need to know what could this fuse be to? and what does it run?
2. what else do i need to check? Like the fuse under the rear cargo area in back of the seats. I know there are fuses there.

I will send pics any help would be appreciated so i can get my baby back on the road

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Yellow fuse (as in 20 amp blade type, right?) in/on the small square box on the fender where the alternator wire goes to?
Air conditioner fuse.

There's just the 1 fuse under the rear cargo shelf and it services the fuel pumps, all others are in the fusebox up front with the exception of that AC fuse, and if you've an electronic VVT, it's fuse is near the radiator overflow bottle.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay so that would not make the car not want to start i mean it just died period i could crank the car but it wouldnt even crank over and yes it is the 20 amp blade type so what else am i looking for

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Ya, 84 would prolly still be inertia VVT.

Some things that would do it:
Wire coming loose, like the ground strap at bellhousing for example
Flywheel sensor died or came unhooked
coil wire popped off or coil died
dizzy cap came loose
Battery voltage dropped below ECU threashold (10.5V during cranking, measure with voltmeter because 'sounds like it cranks good' is about as good as 'I promise your blind date is hot' or 'the cheque is in the mail')

:shrug:
Difficult to say and can only toss guesses until certain other things have been looked at.
Like: do you have spark? do the fule pumps run for 1/2 a second or so when the key is turned from off to on? is the voltage adiquate to activate the ECU?

Might even be the intertia switch decided it was gonna act up right at that moment.
It's located on firewall next to the wiper resevior. You can play with it to try and reset it, or to simplify, unhook the two wires from it and connect them directly to each other thus bypassing it entirely.
(the way the fuel system is set up, it's not a neccisary device anyway as fuel stops flowing the moment the ignition stops firing)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Id check the hose at the air flow meter that it didn't slip off its happenend to me on my 84 and 87 .
Its worth a look

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay ill check the fuse for the pumps tommorrow i dont have a garage i will get to it and check some other stuff with the volt meter man i almost feel like crying LOL its my baby. Can a guy actually get so attached to a car?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay will check that but it looked good to me like i said it cranked over but it did not seem to hit oh yeah i cranked and i did not smell any gas or like over flooding i put my foot down and nothing like it wasnt getting any gas so it might be the fuse under the rear seat or maybe the inertia switch by the way which one is it there are two there. a pic may help

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Another way out there on a limb kind of reach:
How much fuel is in it and do you know the condition of the stepped hose that holds the in~tank pump to the sender?

It's plausible that the fuel level is low enough and the hose bad enough where that last drive got the level down enough where the thing can't move fuel to the main pump anymore.

A BIG reach though, as you'd prolly have noticed some poor running in the preceding weeks when the fuel level got below half, but its not totally out of the relm of possibilities.

This is why more info needs to be gathered first before heading off into the 'your problem is most likely' land :)

it cranked over but it did not seem to hit
Your blind date is hot, I promise.
Oh, and the cheque is in the mail.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Darren im also gonna look at the l jet diagnostic page. But im trying to remember if there are any fuses in the fuse box in the cab that have to deal with ignition or would affect starting the car. if there are ill look in there too. I know i have a pic of the fuse box somewhere i will have to look. but at the top of your head you can tell me what fuses to look out for it will be a great help.
If you are in the California area Darren let me know and Ill take you wine tasting as a thank you

Angel

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I'm a whole continent away from you actually.

There's a link in the FAQ at the top of this subsection that shows the fuse designations.
IIRC, not a one of them in the box deals with actual starting/running of the engine though, but obviously double checking that would be the wise thing to do.

·
Registered
what part?
9,988 Posts
tifosi...if i was you...:):):) i might take that offer to the cal. central coast.. so nice:):):):):) and warmer than up state N.Y.:)

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
i could crank the car but it wouldnt even crank over
I take this to mean that the starter turns the engine but the engine won't start? Industry description for this is 'cranks/no start'.
Check the basics first; is there spark and fuel.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep papa jam it does turn i will be checking the spark and see if there is any fuel getting to the stuff. one thing i remember as i was waiting for my son at the post office is i heard i funny noise in the back where the pumps would be like they cycled down or something. so i have to check that fuse in the back. ill do all the basics first.

Darren you ever decide to come to central coast there are tons of wineries and twisty roads over here. so ummmm it would be fun. The only thing that wouldnt be fun is being trying to figure out who becomes the designated driver and who drinks well we could always get a friend to drive us around LOL.

I will check on the basics papa be back in a bit

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well got my baby started It was the fuse in the back i replaced it with an 8 is that the correct fuse to use it started right up if not can you let me know what fuse to use in that area.

Angel

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for the help Im a happy alfista once again.
BTW if any of u guys are in the central coast wine country let me know i have it all scoped out and it would be great.
Angel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts