Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I’m buying a 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, I just wanted to know the pros and cons. First time with Alfa Romeo, anything I should do first when I get it? It’s in running condition guy just say that the clutch master cylinder bleeds if you don’t use it for a couple weeks. Need advice on how to prepare for whys to come. Please and thank you.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There are dozens of pre-purchase checklists on this BB. Among the basics, think twice if there's rust (sills & inner sills, floor pans, spare tire well). Verify all fuel hoses have been replaced. It goes on from there. Look up your local AROC chapter, locate the Alfa-knowledgable mechanics in your area, and have one do a PPI on the car. Parts are usually not an issue.

David O'D
Laguna CA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s in cold condition just some major rust on right rocker panel but the intake hose is duck taped at the ends. But runs and drives

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
'just' some 'major' rust on rocker?
the rockers hold the car together and are very, very expensive to repair...very (did I say very?;))
something to think about....
but if you have bought it already, you are the new owner and that's that...

Welcome to the BB.....plenty of help here, that's for sure...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there
'just' some 'major' rust on rocker?
the rockers hold the car together and are very, very expensive to repair...very (did I say very?;))
something to think about....
but if you have bought it already, you are the new owner and that's that...

Welcome to the BB.....plenty of help here, that's for sure...
Can you tell me how expensive it is? It’s not bad just surface rust. I just wanna know if it’s gonna be worth the amazing convertible experience. Pros and cons of owning one ,etc. I don’t think this is that major of rust or is it?

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
"Major rust" on the rocker? If a rocker is compromised, you can be sure there are other spots on the car as well. Unless you're getting the car at a rock-bottom price, leaving $ for rust repair, I'd probably reconsider. But that's me.....

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Thats more than surface
It’s impossible to tell from a photo but the Alfa rockers are 3 parts: outer middle and inner
That has also compromised the jacking point
Is that the spider for 5 grand advertised here on bb?
Best bet is to pay someone to do a ppi, someone who knows these cars.
Just my 2 cents
That rust would put me off because I can guess what’s lurking behind when you really start to dig

·
Registered
181 Posts
A turquoise '84, just like my old one and the last year of the dual-pods! Very cool! Does it have the blue interior too? I loved my car and had between 300k and 400k on it when I sold it to complete the remodel of a house a I'd recently bought. The motor had been rebuilt by a dealership here in LA, when the 1st owner decided to remove the protective grate, because it rattled. He subsequently hit something that put a hole in the pan and required a $5400 rebuild, in.... :rolleyes: let's see... we bought it in '94, so it would have been '86-'90 maybe?

I bought it from the 2nd owner with exactly 100,000 according to the broken speedometer. I sold it in 2015. I used to commute from Los Angeles to The SF Bay Area for work, every 2-weeks for 3-1/2 years and that car never failed me.

FWIW, they're great cars. Many of the pot-metal and plastic fittings are crap; so you need to learn to be gentle with trim pieces, knobs, switches, etc. But the motor is bullet-proof. And the Bosch injection makes it start like a Toyota. I would replace that large intake with a new one - especially if it's duct-taped. That won't last and when you get a vacuum leak (and you will with duct-tape) and then it will start to porpoise, which makes it extremely difficult to drive safely.

But other than the rust issue (which you'll have to figure-out for yourself), they're great cars. I just purchased an exempt '75 that sprung a coolant-leak on the back of the timing-chain cover, which requires removing the motor. That's a rare occurrence - but * happens and when it does, you have to deal with it.

If you're not mechanically inclined, just be warned; Alfa mechanics--good ones that is--can be a bit pricey. But if you don't mind getting your fingers dirty, they're not that difficult to work on. And that makes them a bargain.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Can you tell me how expensive it is? It’s not bad just surface rust. I just wanna know if it’s gonna be worth the amazing convertible experience. Pros and cons of owning one ,etc. I don’t think this is that major of rust or is it?
They're great cars when sorted out. Fantastic to look at, fabulous to drive, reliable enough and easy to fix. "Amazing convertible experience" sums it up.

But that is not "just surface rust". Those look like serious holes and my guess is that the rockers are rotten from the inside out. How expensive? If you have a pro do it you're talking many thousands of dollars. If you're doing it yourself you're likely talking hundreds of hours of your time. Perhaps the photos make it look worse than it is and it might be worth having somebody knowledgeable take a look at it. But there are still lots of Spiders out there and you should be able to find one with less rust. Plenty of people on this board have been seduced by the looks of the car and say "hey, it runs great and just a little surface rust" only to be stuck in rust hell. I'd rather have one with a bad transmission and a blown motor than one with bad rust issues. Way cheaper and easier to fix mechanicals than body.

·
Registered
648 Posts
They're great cars when sorted out. Fantastic to look at, fabulous to drive, reliable enough and easy to fix. "Amazing convertible experience" sums it up.

But that is not "just surface rust". Those look like serious holes and my guess is that the rockers are rotten from the inside out. How expensive? If you have a pro do it you're talking many thousands of dollars. If you're doing it yourself you're likely talking hundreds of hours of your time. Perhaps the photos make it look worse than it is and it might be worth having somebody knowledgeable take a look at it. But there are still lots of Spiders out there and you should be able to find one with less rust. Plenty of people on this board have been seduced by the looks of the car and say "hey, it runs great and just a little surface rust" only to be stuck in rust hell. I'd rather have one with a bad transmission and a blown motor than one with bad rust issues. Way cheaper and easier to fix mechanicals than body.
I agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car is only 1,500$ what do y’all think? It has more rust spots and a small rust hole on the front, but many new parts in car. The clutch master cylinder just bleeds out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any other spiders around that price that I can maybe purchase? Please let me know, I am a serious buyer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Do you know of any other spiders around 1500$?

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Not that run and are not rust buckets. How good are your body skills? If you have experience with rust repair it might make some sense.

Hard to say from here just how much it will cost to fix - depends on how bad it actually is and who you know that will do cut-rate body work for you. But if it's as bad as it looks and you have to pay full market rate to a quality body man it's going to be extremely expensive. So the car might be only $1500 but if you have to spend, say, $10,000 just to make it safe to drive is it really such a deal? What you have to understand is that those rockers and a bit of sheet metal in between are the only things holding the car together. It's not just cosmetic rust that you can live with.

Again, I'd rather spend $3000 on a non-rusty non-runner than $1500 on a rusty runner. Heck, more than that....

Spiders have been frustratingly slow to appreciate but not THAT slow. You're not going to find one with both sound mechanicals and a sound body for anything like $1500 unless you can find someone with no idea of the car's value that you can take advantage of.

OTOH, if it has some good parts in it I'm sure you could make a profit buying it for $1500 and parting it out. Maybe buy this one, then find a good solid body shell to transfer all the parts to?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What if I just sand the rust down, bondo it and keep it garaged it for the rest of its life? would rust come back?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like your just looking for a daily driver, and not too concerned with overall condition. The problem is, these cars, if they're that cheap, are sure to give you endless headaches trying to keep them on the road. I think the rust will only be the start of your problems. Have you had it on a lift yet? I wouldn't even consider it until you see what's underneath. Personally I would wait until I had enough money to buy a better one.

·
Administrator
17,030 Posts
would rust come back?
Rust never sleeps. It is most likely that car is rusting from the inside out. There is a drain hose for the gutter under the conv top - that hose exits in the space behind that area. There is a drain slot in the bottom of the rocker but they get clogged with debris. And the inner panels were not well rust-proofed (if at all). The general rule is the rust you see is 1/3 to 1/4 of what is there. And it'll cost 2 to 3 times what you think it'll cost to fix (right). Bondo is not structural.

If the price is reasonable (you said $1500?) it might be worth it - either budget a lot more money to fix it or plan on having fun for a few years until it gets too bad to continue driving. Maybe along the way you'll find a body in better shape - perhaps a car with a bad motor that you can also buy cheap then combine the best parts of the two...

It is hard to buy an Alfa without getting too emotional. I'd suggest getting in touch with a local Alfa club. Enlist the help of the members to 1) check over the car under discussion and B) maybe help you find a better prospect.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts