Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys

Well i recharged my battery yesterday and of course my battery now is down to 10 volts. I checked yesterday after i recharged the battery the car started right away. Then as I had the car running I was checking the voltage at the battery terminals with a meter and I was getting 13.5 volts. I then took and started to put my lights on blinkers etc and it went down to 13.1 volts. Looks like the alternator is working. I checked with the care off various times
and it should the battery trickling down as i checked within an hour or two period.

Today when i came home from work I checked the battery and it was down to 10 volts and nothing is on in the car.

It has an after market radio so it is not drawing any power from there because i removed the face plate from the radio.

Checked for lights and none of them are on.

I'm wondering is something maybe drawing power from the battery or is the battery defective I got it 1 month ago.

It should be under warranty.

Any suggestions

Angel

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
You need to measure the parasitic draw on the battery with the car off using an ammeter. You disconnect the negative terminal and put the ammeter in series. Should be <30mA or so if all is correct.

Battery could be shot, but more likely that you have a drain somewhere that you're missing.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yup, what he said... Phantom of the Alfa. Lots of posts on this subject. When you give up trying to find it, buy a battery maintainer, plug it in and forget about it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I will do that but i charged the battery fully last night and never has it done this It have been sometimes days before I would start the car and it would fire right up. we shall see. it seems weird for the battery to do this so fast especially since ive never had the problem before

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
Does your car have the footwell lights? A common occurance is for one of them to get flipped to 'always on' which will then drain the battery over a few hours. The light cover also acts as a switch to change the operation between 'off', automatic (with door open) and 'always on'.

The radio memory should only draw a few milliamps. But if it was recently installed and the problem began after installation, try removing & unplugging it. Removing the face plate is not enough to take the radio out of the equation.

·
Registered
318 Posts
1984 Alfa batteries were notoriously weak. It might be time for a new one. ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, Eric nope no this alfa does not have the footwell lights. My light for the interior does not work unless I put it to on. In other words no light turns on when the doors open. The radio has been there since I brought the car and it has never done so before. Like I said this is a new battery. I did install Halogen head lights with relays but they are off so they shouldnt draw any voltage when there off. But this has only been since recently

In another note I have brought panels with the footwell lights that im going to install after my trans is replaced. I have to figure out how to wire the car for these.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If you have a test light, you can easily determine a draw (if these actually is one) by putting a testmlight between the negitive battery terminal and the cable while disconnected. If there isna draw the light will glow. The larger the draw the brighter the light. Then start pulling fuses until you know what circuit or circuits have a draw on them.

Then again it could be a bad battery!

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's probably..........

The radio. That's good advice. Disconnect it completely, then check. What happens is the memory gets hooked to a constant "hot" wire and not to a keyed "hot." Good luck.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I had a Merc that had a battery drain problem - turned out the voltage regulator (at the back of the alternator) was bad and allowed current loss. Swopped the part (which includes the brushes as a unit, and just slips out the back of the alternator by removing 2 screws) and the problem was cured.
Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A small drain should not kill the battery over night. Should take over a week. You need about 10 or 10.5 volts inorder to have the computer allow the car to start. Get your battery checked just to be sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine was the clock on the center console. Drew an ungodly amount of power (not be design). Replaced and problem went away. Bottom line, from the number of posts on this, it could be anything.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
yes, get the battery properly checked at a workshop, a proper current drain test (they should do it free for you as they will hope to sell you a new battery!) - that a battery reads 12.5 volts after you charged it, basically means nothing - you will go round in endless circles without a proper battery test:)

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
You can eliminate a lot of the potential drain sources by yanking all of the fuses. Try charging up the battery, pull all the fuses, and see what the voltage is the following morning.

If the battery is a month old, they should be able to load test it for you.

bs

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
All sound advice, but regardless you absolutely must do a parasitic drain test with a ammeter. If the battery tests bad you have no idea if the battery croaked on its own or if you killed it from drawing it down too much.

If you own an Alfa and do not own a digital multimeter, you are a man who desperately needs to buy a digital multimeter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts