Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1983 Alfa Spider started backfiring driving down the road the stopped and will not crank. The car has been completely restored including an fresh engine rebuild with about 60 miles on it. All hoses have been replaced during the build minus the big hose to the MAF. It has been smelling running a little rich so yesterday I replaced the fuel regulator. Could I have a bad MAF?

·
Administrator
17,014 Posts
When you say 'it will not crank' do you mean you turn the key to 'start' and there is no response - the starter does not activate & the engine does not turn over? Or do you mean it goes R-R-R-R but does not start?

Check all the intake & vacuum hoses very carefully. The L-jet system is very intolerant of any loose, split/cracked hoses. Inspect the large intake intake hose across the top of the engine very closely. The accordion shaped area at the AFM is known to crack & split on the underside - you may need to take the hose off and flex that area to find a split.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct. I was driving down the road and it started backfiring bad. Then shut off. The start is turning over and while cranking you can hear back firing out the exhaust but will not crank.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Perhaps a couple spark plug wires have come loose? Only one loose shouldn't keep it from starting, but two?

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
902 Posts
Fresh rebuild? If it was running fine and all of a sudden it started backfiring, quit running and now backfires when you turn it over I would run a compression check...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check your condenser. That same thing started happening to mine and suddenly stuttered and stopped. At first we thought maybe it was rust in the tank, but it was the condenser...
Easy and cheap swap...

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
902 Posts
The AC unit..... lol

·
Registered
971 Posts
Please check the large crossover tube from the airbox to the throttle body. I had mine work loose years ago while driving. Also, check the connection to your air flap (what you called the MAF).

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
check the coil wire between coil and dizzy is clean and tight.
check the distributor has not been left loose (shouldn't turn with your hand)
look inside the distributor, check for signs of contact between rotor and cap, or damage to rotor

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had a similar problem, but was able to limp my spider home. I have a 123Ingition Distributor, and to my untrained eyes, the cap and rotor seemed fine. I replaced them anyway (after a bit of a search), and she fired back up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Freshly rebuilt engine - backfiring - timing chain slipped?

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
How does an Alfa timing chain slip? You can make a mistake with timing the cams but once they are timed they will stay put unless something breaks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thinking more of a broken chain. Apparently the car won't start at all, but just backfires. Haven't heard from the original poster, so don't know where it stands now.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
902 Posts
That's why I suggested a compression test Ed. I'm thinking bent valve, etc. If chain was really sloppy he could have had P/V contact on decel.....

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
The start is turning over and while cranking you can hear back firing out the exhaust....
I can't imagine a broken chain! That thing would hardly "turn over"

OP had the engine fully rebuilt 60 miles ago...I'd take it right back for a 61 mile service....;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts