Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a tip from a man in Malibu on Sunday when I was cruising around in my '79 Alfetta GT that there is a red 1983 GTV6 sitting at a scrapyard about an hour from me. Showed me pictures of it online to prove it. At the time he went to the yard and saw it a couple days earlier all that was missing off the car were the valve covers. Everything else was there and intact. Decent paint and no rust or dents on the body anywhere! So I called the yard to see when I could come purchase the car, they were very iffy about it at first but I finally got a hold of a man that said he'd sell it out of the yard complete for an absolute steal. So I show up to the yard the very next day and proceed over to the spot the car was listed at online. Gone. I looked around for nearly two hours trying to find it and sadly no luck. I got a call from the man at the yard that was helping me try to find it and gave me the bad news saying it's gone. The car was pulled from the yard a mere few hours before I showed up to purchase it and was sent to the crusher. Already too late to save it. So close yet so far. I had cash in hand ready to haul it back home with me too. The worst part was that when it got to the yard a few weeks ago, someone had driven it there. It was a running and driving GTV6 that someone scrapped... Such a disgrace, heartbreak, and waste of a great car.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
I got a tip from a man in Malibu on Sunday when I was cruising around in my '79 Alfetta GT that there is a red 1983 GTV6 sitting at a scrapyard about an hour from me. Showed me pictures of it online to prove it. At the time he went to the yard and saw it a couple days earlier all that was missing off the car were the valve covers. Everything else was there and intact. Decent paint and no rust or dents on the body anywhere! So I called the yard to see when I could come purchase the car, they were very iffy about it at first but I finally got a hold of a man that said he'd sell it out of the yard complete for an absolute steal. So I show up to the yard the very next day and proceed over to the spot the car was listed at online. Gone. I looked around for nearly two hours trying to find it and sadly no luck. I got a call from the man at the yard that was helping me try to find it and gave me the bad news saying it's gone. The car was pulled from the yard a mere few hours before I showed up to purchase it and was sent to the crusher. Already too late to save it. So close yet so far. I had cash in hand ready to haul it back home with me too. The worst part was that when it got to the yard a few weeks ago, someone had driven it there. It was a running and driving GTV6 that someone scrapped... Such a disgrace, heartbreak, and waste of a great car.

That is sad!!! At a minimum, so many lost parts that could have made a few people happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,212 Posts
I've run across this before, where someone who owns an Alfa really doesn't give a rat's aXX about what happens to the car when they are done with it. Saw a beautiful black early sixties spider sitting in a wrecking yard ready for the scrapper, given to them by someone who didn't care about the car anymore. It was pretty much intact and very close to running condition. No damage whatsoever.

No, they wouldn't sell it to me. And of course the gumballs who run wrecking yards couldn't care either. Still think about that one.

Having lived this long, I suspect that maybe half the people we see around us are nogoodniks.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
There will be embarrassed members of this site thinking "heck that car was better than my one" ... :surprise:

Pete

You talking to me!

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,021 Posts
Whoever sold it to the Junk yard lost out on at least a couple of grand. I wonder how many similar cars were scrapped 8 years ago by Obama's cash for clunkers?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I had a story almost identical to the original post above. Call from a friend that saw a GTV6 at a local boneyard. I showed up the next day and trolled the whole yard looking for it. Then was told at the desk that it had met the crusher earlier that morning.

To minimize that happening again, I came back with a Xeroxed foto of a GTV6 to hang on their bulletin board... with my phone number in the lower margin. About a month or so later, I got a call that one had just come in. $275, and I took it home for parts. Too much rust to consider restoring. But during disassembly I discovered performance parts on it (Shankle front sway bar, etc). Windfall! Might have had 'S' cams and other bits, since the PO had been in upgrade mode? I'll never know.

Maybe take that as a tip on posting a pic at local yards to ensure more don't end up as scrap metal.

Peter

·
18,212 Posts
Maybe that is something the US Alfa Club or the BB should do. Issue a message with pictures of Alfas to wrecking yards in the US, asking that a "clearing house" web site in the club, or maybe better, the BB, be notified about availability.

It would maybe help their sales, save a few cars, and make Alfa owners happier.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Whoever sold it to the Junk yard lost out on at least a couple of grand. I wonder how many similar cars were scrapped 8 years ago by Obama's cash for clunkers?
I saw a list of some of the incredibly rare cars that were destroyed. It was heartbreaking.
https://jalopnik.com/5365954/ten-most-exotic-cars-destroyed-by-cash-for-clunkers/
https://www.motortrend.com/news/crushing-the-tragedies-of-cash-for-clunkers-5458/

You know, considering the ubiquity of the internet it's absolutely amazing there are people stupid enough to not realize when their vehicles have value to collectors. Like real cash money value.

·
18,212 Posts
Yeah, I saw lists like that, and it was sad.

Well, Mankind can be represented by a "bell distribution". And there are quite a few people falling below the apogee of the bell curve shape, who are never sensible or acting bright. Lord knows it can sometimes be difficult as most of us know, but one must at least try.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Maybe that is something the US Alfa Club or the BB should do. Issue a message with pictures of Alfas to wrecking yards in the US, asking that a "clearing house" web site in the club, or maybe better, the BB, be notified about availability.

It would maybe help their sales, save a few cars, and make Alfa owners happier.
I love this idea! I bet there's not many Alfa's ending up in junk yards, but those that do can be a big help to those of us looking for parts or, as in the case here, an entire car to actually drive.

·
2,252 Posts
A lot of us have horror stories about this type of stuff.
I found a set of Cromodora CD 35 rims on a rusted out Alfetta GT at a junkyard in Atlanta.
I asked about them and the ignorant guy I spoke to said "$200".
I went back to buy them the next day and the car had been crushed.
Broke my heart!

Cash for Clunkers was more heartbreak.
I read a story about a guy at a dealership who had to waste the engine
in a deluxe Ford F-150 that he would have loved to have had.
His job was to kill it.
It made him weep!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
As a kid, I saw a Guiletta and 1900 sedan in the local yard - both complete. Had no idea what Alfa was so they were just weird foreign cars to me. All the cars were crushed and the yard is long gone now.

Also remember the Guiletta spider shell that came into another local yard. Stripped but mostly rust free. I knew about Alfa by then, but what would I do with it? Was in the middle of a big Pontiac rebuild in my parent's driveway.

Lastly was the GT Junior in Octagon Spares yard. Beautiful car, but had hit a pole on the nose. Not an easy repair, but do-able. I was shopping for Subaru parts at the time and of course did not have the cash or space for a project. I suspect this one survived.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
What a stupid, stupid move to DRIVE that GTV 6 there, and sell it for scrap change. He could have gotten real money for it with minimum effort. Especially out there! Stupid.... or else desperate for drug funds.

Idiot, either way.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I first talked to the sales guy at the yard he had told me that the owner of the yard was going to buy it right when it came in, so maybe he lied to me that it got crushed. But who knows what actually happened to it. All i know is that I and others missed out on a deal of a lifetime and a lot of parts that could save many other GTV6's! My best guesses as to why it was scrapped is maybe the owner of the car passed away and it was handed down to someone that didn't know crap about old cars and their value, especially this one! Or maybe same case but wouldn't pass smog here in California. Oh well, nothing we can do about it now. :(

·
Premium Member
15,021 Posts
maybe same case but wouldn't pass smog here in California.
Is it true that you cannot sell a car in CA without a clean smog certificate?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.