Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relatively new to the forum, but you all seem knowledgable. Rebuilding/repairing an 83 spider veloce.

Cranking but not firing, so after reviewing a couple amazingly detailed instructions, I started with a fuel check

Testing process:

Check the in-tank fuel pump to see that it is working:
- Disconnected the fuel line from the main fuel pump. 
- Using a bucket I turned over the car. 
- Fuel came out of the fuel line from the tank. 
RESULT - in-tank fuel pump is working

check the main fuel-pump:
- Reattached the main fuel pump lines. 
- Disconnect the line out of the fuel pump
- Turn over the car
- NO fuel was coming out
RESULT = main fuel pump is likely faulty. 

Anyone see a flaw in my logic here?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
dj2826,

While I'm too lazy to find and provide the links you need to address your issue of an inoperative main fuel pump, additional diligent searching on your part will provide the guidance you seek.

Briefly, there are relays and a signal from your distributor involved in powering up the fuel pump, and the test you performed, while possibly indicative of a failed pump, is not conclusive. Your searching should locate instructions on a simple relay jumper that will send power directly to the pump and determine if it's operational. Just make sure to also check continuity on both the hot and ground side of the pump. Schematics are essential.

No doubt others will chime in shortly with further details. Just wanted to make sure you don't order a pump you may not need.

Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but I have *exactly* dj2826's issue, and have found that by connecting 12v to the pump, the wire gets warm ( what flagged this [besides stranding me in my driveway] was the blowing up of fuel pump fuse(s) ) - also using a meter, acreoss the plus & minus, a dead short was observed.
I don't think that's good...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts