Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that my '82 Spider Veloce is listing a bit to the driver side - perhaps no more than an inch. Can anyone offer some advice to this issue? Although both rear springs seem bent or bowed, it looks to me that the spring on driver side is more bent than the passenger side. Perhaps this is an indication of another issue that needs to be addressed? The car rides like glass - with the exception of some 'wiggle' in tight turns. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 1982 also seems to sit a tad lower on one side... I'm pretty sure it's to the same side as well (i can verify tonight). I've had my springs replaced as well, and it still does it. It's only noticible in the back thanks to the square bumper.

I too am interested in what the cause of this might be.

·
Registered
520 Posts
procedure as listed below:

1. with right hand engage eyewear and adjust tilt to fit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've actually measured it to see if I was just seeing things, and there's a diff of about 1-1.5" if I remember correctly.

So thanks for the ever so helpful reply. :p

·
Registered
122 Posts
hah! well, the PO (who was the 2nd owner) and I are both about the same size: 6'2 185lbs...

I mean I know alfas aren't known for being the heaviest of duty vehicles, but it would take an insanely heavy person to bend it that much by just sitting in it.

i wonder if my car was used for wheeling at some point... what's funny is it drives and handles great, with seemingly no unusual tire wear (only have like 5k on these tires, so time will tell).

Or perhaps both our cars were setup for a track like ThunderHill Raceway which is mostly lefthanded turns. :p

·
Registered
532 Posts
Rear springs are known to wear badly, but also, the front spring pans are not identical. Perhaps someone switched yours, but the deeper one is supposed to be on the passenger side. Spring seats might also be worn, front and/or rear. Just some ideas to look into . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is another set of pics that show some clear damage to the Driver side I-Beam. Upon measurement it is only about a 1/4" difference (lower) than the correct side (Passanger). The spring pans upon re-checking appear to be the same, but perhaps not set in the proper position. Hmmmm.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
wow... excellent observation! i'll check mine!

what kind of situation do you think would cause this sort of damage to one side and not the other?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm guessing a slipped jack or bad jack placement wouldbe my guess.

·
Registered
122 Posts
gah... so the fix would be to replace the whole assembly i guess? maybe I'll measure all 4 corners and see what i've got for clearance...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gah... so the fix would be to replace the whole assembly i guess? maybe I'll measure all 4 corners and see what i've got for clearance...
Naw, my first choice will be a nice heavy sludge-hammer - remove the bolts and do-dads and wail on it a bit! :). See if I can't get it back close is all I'd want.

·
Registered
122 Posts
maybe with a block of wood in the middle so you don't taco it too badly?

*or* you could just drop it on the other side. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts