19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1982 GTV 6 Balloco

At this point even with all I've put

into it I'm asking $7200.00

More pics :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157627023186970/

# 51 of 350 produced

116,000 miles... Car is located in Santa Monica, Ca.

Very unique color.. ( Alfa Metallic Green )

no rust, doesn't burn oil

I have the original wheels BTW

2nd gear, No problem !

Lot's of new stuff: Wheels and Tires, Headliner, Steering Wheel, Shift Knob,
Floor Mats, Battery, Brakes and I had all the exterior rubber and plastics repainted...
oh and tinted the windows too ....

Been in California it's whole life and worked on by one mechanic ( who I bought it from )

If you're really interested u can email me at [email protected]

I DON'T CHECK THIS BB VERY OFTEN :(

You can also call me at 818 903-5419

thanks

Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok people, I have gotten ton's of requests for pics but no nibbles.. How about some comments, opinions etc ? Please be fair and constructive :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Without pictures, it's very difficult to express an opinion. Condition is everything. What number in the series is it? Does it have the original external stripe on the beltline? What about the interior?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
You probably just need to resize your pics, e.g. 600x800 or thereabout.
Jes

·
Registered
805 Posts
My apologies, Tony, for asking questions that were answered in your description.

A couple of thoughts about the car. Personally, I like the way the car looks even though it's not original. There are, of course, two thoughts about pricing an Alfa. Is it in original condition or restored to original and if it's modified from original how good is the condition. As a Balocco, it's not even close to being original so you won't get any premium from that. As a nice GTV6, at least from what I see in the pictures, you would probably get an offer of $5-6K, depending on how good your engine is. Just my $0.02. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
All Ballaco's were red with black interior and a stripe......The only thing that made the Ballaco unique was the red piping interior and the stripe. Yours has been repainted so it is no longer a "Ballaco". Now, like others have said, you have a nice GTV6, worth around $3000-$5000 depending on where it is and condition. As far as exclusivity for a special model.......nope. :(

·
Premium Member
22,258 Posts
I knew this car when it was in Berkeley. It was a real Balloco but was painted by the previous owner, a pro Alfa mechanic. Utterly dialed in mechanically during his time, and I suspect it still is.
Andrew

·
Registered
132 Posts
Some buyers may think of wheels that large as negative with a GTV6, so they don't add much value to the car. Nice color and paint job.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
In my opinion, having a little experience with GTV6s and having owned[own] many Balocco's,the styling package IS cool in it's own way, but it doesn't add to the GTV6' value in the actual sale. A car that has been sorted and is a solid driver is worth his asking price.
"bringing it back to a Balocco" is a matter of interior restoration and a stripe, and the Balocco red[which appears to be darker] Easy enough, if you have the need to be true to the Special Edition. Otherwise, if it's a good driver, do it the justice and honor of drivin' the hail out of it !!
My humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Best part about the Balocco are the clovers and the red carpet. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Agree with the others, nice GTV6, but actually missing just about everything that makes a Balocco a Balocco, so while it technically is one whatever nominal value that the special edition would bring is lost.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tks all for your feedback.. True it's not classically restored but this car is as solid as it gets mechanically and has some style to it as well. Hoping someone will come along and appreciate it as it is with many many new upgrades and make me a decent offer
Tony

·
Registered
159 Posts
balloco

Maybe I missed something, but how do you start with a price of $8500. then speak of lowering the price to $8500?

I have an '83 GTV 6, with new carpets, new rear seats, paint, rebuilt trannie, new clutch, new rubber, new wheels, new donuts, rebuilt 3.0 Liter engine installed, and I wouldn't expect to get $8500. for it. You can't expect to get back the money you put into it. Not like a house. I never quite understood why. I suppose everyone wants one with no improvements, then they can do their own.

BB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why ask why?

Well, the "why" is pretty simple ...

Some makes & models of cars will (generally) appreciate in value, and others do not. All one needs to do is peruse a few ads for GTV's & Guilia's to see this in action.

This is simply a matter of "what the market will bear" and (in general) once a pattern is set, it very rarely changes. A car is "deemed to be not collectible" by the market ... and that is that.

Unfortunately, although we have a passion for them (it is a sickness, we know) the GTV6 is *NOT* one of these "collectible" models.

Another case in point -

For you lovers of the German marques, a 911 from any year or in any condition is very likely to command near what you paid or higher, depending on how long you hold the car, etc ... but just *TRY* and get your investment back on a 924 or 914 ... not gonna happen!

The bottom line is that the GTV6 is a wonderful car, with a lot of character & style, and if in good shape is worth a moderate used-car price.

But unless your car is literally either a museum showpiece or a bona fide track demon, it is not going to earn you a profit compared to what you spent getting it in shape.

As always with comments like this ... YMMV!

·
Registered
132 Posts
The bottom line is that the GTV6 is a wonderful car, with a lot of character & style, and if in good shape is worth a moderate used-car price.
The GTV6 has done pretty well on resale value for well preserved model. What did this car cost new in 1985? 16K? What did a Porsche 944 cost, 23K? They sell for similar prices in good condition, granted there are more Porsches and the body is less rust prone. How many cars are worth 40% value 25 years later in good condition?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, but ...

Mo -

You are correct that a good example of a GTV6 will not be a huge money loser, but there is a difference between "holds value" and "appreciates in value" ...

... my point is that even with good examples, a GTV6 seller will be lucky to "break even" if they have spent a lot on body work, paint, mechanical repairs or upgrades, etc.

Whereas, with more "collectible" models, a seller can buy a car, do *NOTHING* to it for a few years, and turn around to get *MORE* than they paid for it in a sale.

Again ... there can (and will) be exceptions. YMMV

1 - 20 of 25 Posts