Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Board Brain Trust,
With more time on my hands for projects, I have been tinkering with many aspects of the ’82 Spider. I have some questions you’ll see after I set the scene for you.
1. Local shop installed new clutch, p-plate, TO bearing, etc. New rotors, pads, lines, on all four corners, new rear sway bar bushings. It shifts, drives, and stops like never before in my hands.
2. with a bit more vigor on the gas, after driving for an hour or so, I noticed a small coolant leak at the filler neck of the radiator. I tightened the cap‘s sheet metal flanges a bit, and that seemed to help. Did find a thimble full worth of “mayonnaise“ in the cap.
3. Jumped on this board and went long and deep down the OVS rabbit hole of information. Removed my own, cleaned it out and reinstalled it. In the process discovered the oil return line was shot (in about six spots) and thus replaced it (7’ of line!) What I did find was the nipple at the dipstick base, and on the OVS were both open to the atmosphere. Drove the car about 30 minutes, didn’t notice much difference. Returned to the OVS well and discovered I needed to put oil in the new line (about 1 ounce) to effectively create a p-trap like effect.
4. I have not driven the car since then (wet, rainy here in VA this week).

so, what have I done? Do I need to do more? Did the OVS shortcomings have anything to do with crankcase pressures overwhelming a seal to the coolant side of things? Have I magically picked up 15 HP? Will my wife ride with me now or should I find an Italian girlfriend? Is the filler neck on radiator supposed to be ****ed ( see photos)... most importantly, if I want to paint the logo on the engine red to match the spark plug wires, would that be cheesy, and risk ridicule if a knowledgeable Alfa person were to peer under my bonnet?

Thanks for any sage advice and/commentary provided. Rob

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts
The coolant drip and servicing the OVS are unrelated. If tightening the cap stops the drip you fixed it! What does the gasket on the cap look like?

If you're asking if the filler cap is supposed to be angled slightly - I think so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Eric. Gasket has pretty deep circle where worn, but seems to have stopped the leak now. The BB automatically overwrote the word I used to mean “tilted” with asterisks (think “rooster”).

I did find an older thread (of yours too) speaking to torquing the head of an older car. Will likely try that. Car has 54k miles, head has likely never been off nor torqued in decades.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
what often helps is if you flip the rubber gasket over on the rad cap (so that worn groove no longer contacts the radiator lip, which is where it seals)
Keep an eye on the mayo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts