Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering the purchase of a 1982 Alfa Spider, light yellow in color with tan/ brown interior, no cracks in the dash, 105,00 miles. Seems this has had 2 owners. Body shows small rust bubbles left front bottom quarter panel. Otherwise the car seems very straight and in good condition. Has the orig bill of sale of $15,400.
The leather seats are orig. look dry and have mild cracks. New paint that actually looks very good, Top is is great condition as is the body. Engine is clean. I am taking this to a mechanic to check out. The asking price is $6500. I am going to offer $5k. Does that seem reasonable or am I paying too much. What do I need the mechanic to check.

I have drooled over an Alpha Spider since being a teenager.

I am in Washington State

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Why do you refer to it as an Alpha instead of Alfa?

·
Registered
491 Posts
swillis, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here that can give you some guidance but I think you'll need to at least post some pics or provide a link to the pics. Also, in my opinion, prices are also influenced by your location, eg.g, US or Canada (I assume US since you give the odometer in miles), west coast, east coast, etc.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Rust, rust, rust.....can I say it again? RUST! The fact that it has fairly fresh paint but already has visible rust bubbles raises a red flag for me. There may be more rust lurking underneath. It's like ****roaches....for the ones you see, there are many more hiding. In particular, look under the car: frame rails, floor pans, rocker panels, etc. Also look in the trunk under the carpet.

Interestingly, I have found that if you lift any carpet, get under the car at all, or give the under-hood situation more than a 5 second glance, the seller automatically assumes you are an Alfa/Z-car/Porsche/whatever-is-for-sale "expert". :) This could work for or against you, depending on the seller and the condition of the car.

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts