Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got back from traveling around and luckily (in this case at least) my Alfa died the night before I left, and not halfway through my trip. I was driving along and the lights started to dim and it started to run rough. Easy enough, change the alternator and recharge the battery. Done. Tried to start it and it did not run, and was not getting spark to the plugs, even though the new alternator is generating spark. I changed out the coil, the cap, and the wires along with the spark plugs thinking that that would do it. Checked again and still no spark to the plugs. Re-Timed the cap, thinking I put something on backwards, but still no spark to the plugs. It still turns over and the fuel pumps are working. Any Ideas or comments would be great, thanks all!

·
Administrator
16,783 Posts
Even with a recharge the battery may not have enough oomph to both crank the motor and power up the computers. If system voltage drops below ~ 10.5V the computers will not wake up to send the make spark/squirt fuel signals. It can sound like it is cranking over with plenty of speed but that is not proof of adequate system voltage. Connect a voltmeter to the battery (do not use a dash gauge if you car has one - they are not designed to measure system voltage during cranking). If cranking volatge is low try a jump start (or replace the battery).

The multiple failed attempts to start can also foul the spark plugs - clean or replace them.

See the link in my signature to a page of info about Spider L-jet diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
In the L-Jet diagnostics Eric points to, perform the checks for the flywheel sensors. If either of them is bad, you will get no spark. And they can go bad at any time without warning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts