Thanks everyone! Car is local and is good hands

Up in Northern Virginia, near MD, DC, PA
looking for $4500 - let's talk - I can move that price

for sale -
1981 Spider
55+k on odometer
Dell 'orto Carb conversion

Absolute blast to drive
New tires, new brakes (and new e-brake cable)
now 1 year old SEARS Diehard battery
Radio cassette deck with jack for mp3 / sat / accessory
paint ok - Original red, paint not original
body ok -
interior ok -
driver's power window good, passenger window switch operates slowly
seats better than ok -
rag top window not ok, hazy
bumpers look awful
dashboard has a crack (don't they all) in the usual place behind the center top vent

Occasional nut loose behind the wheel
Motor not original, but replaced before I owned her
Shifts like new- really really smooth through every gear
idles like a kitten, drives like a ocelot

I can provide
additional set of turbino rims (has steelies now)
old yet complete spica unit (but really, would you want that?)

-Definitely not a garage queen - this car is a driver - and is priced accordingly

/Baby on the way
//keeping 1985 spider
///looking for GTV
////not in a hurry
/////baby due at the end of summer
//////don't make me go to Ebay!

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
A location and asking price would be helpful.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks for the PMs
to answer the question for many of you
I would consider a trade - send photos

Here are my requirements:
5 spd
seating for 3

·
Registered
83 Posts
Where are you in NOVA? I'm in Arlington and wouldn't mind taking a look, and possibly have a good trade for you :cool:

Would you be able to email me any more pictures?

Feel free to PM -Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in Chantilly/Herndon and thank you to William C for the offer - but we have a mini van already -

I'll try to post more pictures today. There is a spot of rust, I'll have a close up of that spot.
Paint has a couple of flaws, scratches -
The pictures came out far better than the car actually is up close (being honest here) there are plenty of imperfections

I uploaded this to You Tube, let's see if I can post it.
If not, here it is
http://www.youtube.com/v/goffCf17ig4

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/goffCf17ig4"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/goffCf17ig4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more photos

Title is clear, I have it

Odometer works, and reads just over 55k, title confirms, but because the engine isn't original, what does the odometer really mean?

no electrical problems to speak of other than the passenger window switch sometimes sticks. it absolutely is the switch because swapping the switch with the driver's side switch fixes it.
Drive train is good.
Exhaust is now 2 years old.
brake pads are new, rotors were turned.
Transmission -
If you have ever driven an alfa, you may have heard about the 2nd gear synchro issues that these cars are prone to develop.
This car does not have such an issue, shifts smoothly in every gear.

Car had been repainted in the past, maybe 10 years ago? Paint has a couple of imperfections.
Rust, so far as I can tell, is limited to a single bubble.
There is evidence of an older repair to the nose of the car, the previous owner was not the original owner and didn't have any details either.
Car tracks very straight, runs well, no issues in steering, or suspension, but I'd guess that at some point in the history of this car there was some front end damage that resulted in the new engine / new paint

Looking up the vin # for cars older than 85 doesn't provide a full history.

I am in Chantilly, VA,
I had been keeping the car garaged in Herndon VA but lost my space.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
photos continued

Here's a close up of the rust bubble below the door, paint scratch by the wheel,
and the motor.

Forgot to mention that I had the fluids (brake, coolant and oil w/filter) replaced 2 months ago when I had the fuel filter changed

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
'Up in Northern Virginia, near MD, DC, PA
looking for $4500 - let's talk - I can move that price
'

Ok, that was my craiglist price. for someone who's a member of AROC, or on this board, I am starting my asking price at $4k.

Craigslist is a funny place, anything I've ever listed for sale there has always been
well, you know....

Me:
'for sale - great thing, amazing price, $10'
Craigslist community;
'can I have it for $4?'
'Oh, I know we agreed on $8, but all I have is $3, is that ok?'
'I'll definitely be there on Sunday morning to see it'

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You get that too? I thought it was only me. My motorcycle is for sale on CL for $4500, guy says OK, then says he only has $3300 is that OK? I say no, but you drive from Phoenix to San Diego to pick it up and I'll go $4100, he says OK, see you on Saturday. It's Sunday and never heard from him.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
very nice car.

good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is the car still for sale? I might be interested, but I'm in Southern CA and the shipping costs might put the price out of my reach. LOL on the Craigs list comments though.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Shipping a car isn't too bad, well- last time I had to think about that Gas wasn't $4 a gallon, it was more like $1.75

but that certainly has gone up.

Good luck on finding one on the west coast!

I spend my time here

for sale : alfa romeo : combined classified and auction listings

CLICK ABOVE FOR DIRECT LINK ! !

shows every Alfa on Craigslist/ebay/hemmings and a few other sites.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Same question, Still for sale? I live in Michigan, would have to price shipping, or flight down and drive home (safe for highway driving?). Anthing else I should know?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll answer all of the pm's today-

But one of them should be answered here where everyone can see it -
More about the replacement engine and nose repair -
I don't know the history of the car, and neither did the PO - which is why I don't think this car is a $7k+ car or capable of being a $7k car. It is a well running daily driver.

If any of the following frightens you, or chases you off - I'd rather you know as much about the car as I do before you decide to buy this car or drive 100 miles to see it.

The nose looks like it has been replaced. There are some welding/body work evidence that is visible to the eye even if the camera doesn't pick them up. I will try to take a picture tonight from inside the engine compartment - the cross piece that the hood hinges are bolted to has been welded back into place.

My guess is that the car was involved in a front end collision and as a result, the nose was pushed into the engine compartment - resulting in the repair of the nose and the replacement of the engine- and then the respray of the entire car.

The car tracks very straight, and is crisp and responsive in handling. I've had two shops clear the car of chassis/sub frame problems - I am more comfortable with their expertise than my own, and feel the car is safe and so much so in fact, my pregnant wife routinely drives this car.

As far as driving this car any great distance -

Car runs well, doesn't run warm or complain.
Doesn't need anything to get anywhere, just routinely check tire pressure, oil and coolant levels (it is a 27 year old car)
Radio has cassette player and line in for sirius/xm or ipod - although over the motor I prefer not to have any radio at all
I'd have a plan B ready - I've been stranded before and things can work out.

here's why I wouldn't:
Car is more thoroughly enjoyed off of the highway - treat yourself to backroads and curves - an interstate trip isn't as much fun
Top is not 100% waterproof, especially at 65 mph
Interior gauges and lighting is dim at night
Driving a rag top car in summer, even on the highway - there's no escaping the sun.
It gets hot! Even at highway speeds it is hot. There's no A/C, and the with the top up or down, all the windows down it is still hot.
Seat isn't the most comfortable, for long periods (that's just me, perhaps)
Gas is $4+ a gallon, tolls and time

I can drive the car to Richmond VA, Baltimore MD, or York PA if that helps any of you!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Fibonacci, I broke down and bid/won a 84 spider on ebay, that was a lot closer to me. Hope it is as nice as yours. Good luck on selling yours.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
cygnus x1:

PM sent, sorry things didn't work out this weekend for us, Congratulations! on your 1984!!!! I have a 1985, and though there are a lot of similarities, there are a lot of differences and I've never been able to decide which one I've liked better.

I left early on Friday and spent the weekend up in NJ away from PCs and the internet. Cool thing, I saw two spiders - one up in Sparta, NJ parked at a garage/shop and another one on the highway! Here I can go for months on end without seeing another one

I forgot to include the following;
The wheels on the car are the steelies - but the spare is a turbino and I have 4 additional turbino rims to include with the car - somewhere in the car's history the turbinos were replaced, and I have found 4 rims to restore it back to what it should have been.
Those are included.
These wheels are in the photo below:
Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts