Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very solid, absolutely no rot, and nearly all original except smog pump that was removed by PO. This is a 3 owner car with 63XXX original miles. It will need a new clutch, it has developed a shudder starting out in first gear. All lights and windows work and has recently had tires, complete brake job, vacuum lines and soft top replaced. Comes with the original hardtop and a set of Dellorto carbs perfectly jetted from a Euro Alfetta which I'm told will bolt directly to the Spica intake manifold. I'd like to get $3000 for it and the other bits I've acquired.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Andrew,
The car was sold (almost)! After several no shows a gentleman left a deposit and never came to get the car. I tried to contact him daily for two weeks and after finally got a full mailbox message quit. I haven't heard back since.
Another guy swore up and down he also wanted it. He shows up with a trinket claimed to be a gold watch and and about a third the asking price in cash. I allowed his so called mechanic perform a compression test on the engine and he either pulled a wire out off the boot or messed up the firing order. Another stand up guy wouldn't return my calls. So if you are selling an Alfa and a heavy set middle aged guy with a mustache and his skinhead cohort show up lock the garage ASAP.
Nothing personal but at that point I resigned myself to keeping it. It's depressing seeing it sit there so I thought I'd give selling it one more shot.
To answer your question regarding the bumper. I would prefer to sell the entire car but if that doesn't work (again) I'm going to attempt to sell the rolling body minus engine, trans, fuel injection system, the bumpers, dash, gauges, lens' and hard top. The main reason for this is local zoning bylaws, we already have 3 other cars, a boat/trailer and a utility trailer on the property. If I start pulling off a door here and a hood there my neighbors may not be very patient and the local enforcement officer will be leaving me green stickers which will add to my loss on this vehicle.
I currently have this arrangement posted and if things work out I'll be sure to contact you and give you a reduced price for your understanding.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never had them on my car so I can't vouch for their plug and play ability other than they are free, have no play in the butterflies and seem to be in good shape. They were claimed to have been taken off a European model Alfetta with a 2.0 so the jets should be OK for either Alfetta or Spider. Make me an offer!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jep I agree with Roadtrip. She´s very nice looking and solid in pictures but not topseller colour. It´s said if you have to sold it in parts. Hope that someone get loves that colour.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My kids feel the same as Roadtrip they call it the "Barbie" mobile. I myself like the color and it is the original metallic blue Alfa paint not the aqua green found from 1982-on. It's a shame everyone wants only a red or black Spider these days but maybe that's why the color was only available for 1981? It may have been shinier back in the day but it was basically a Cape Cod summer car for the first 28 years and I live less than 1/8 mile from the ocean but still no rust!
Given the fact that only 1600 or so Spiders were produced during 1981 this could be a very rare one of one car.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I assume that it still has the Spica Monofarfalla FI system on the engine? That's the 80-81 model years which was the end of the line for Spica, and sort of the bastard childen of the S2a Spiders since the intake was so different from the rest. The carbs won't just bolt-on. There a lot of other stuff that needs to be done, like throttle linkage, cover plate for the Spica pump mount, a new fuel supply pump, etc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Roadtrip,
Thanks for the information. The '80/'81 Spiders definitely can be the taboo children of the lineage. On the bright side I have heard from others here that the cams are awesome for a TOTAL conversion to carbs. Please don't ask me why but from what I remember it has something to do with the way Alfa set up the variable timing. I am not a professional mechanic nor an engineer but the cams are set up like the early 60's vintage engines and are a little more aggressive than the early S2 and S3 at least that's what I was told regarding the 1981 model. My guess is this was Alfa's way of regaining some of HP robbed by the cumbersome smog bologna along while still adhering to EPA regs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts