Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the archives and can only find the T style ign switch removal post. Any one know how to remove the switch from an '81 model?

Thanks - Cris

·
Registered
612 Posts
im assuming that it is the same as mine (85)
  • disconnect negative lead from the battery
  • pull black plastic cover (4 screws)
  • disconnect ignition wiring
  • remove bolt located behind ignition switch (this is the hard part)
  • remove ignition switch from the column
reasemble in reverse order..
sounds easy but that one bolt that is behind switch is a pig pain in the bottom...
good luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be darned... there IS a bolt back there! grrrrr.... any tips on how to get it out?

·
Registered
612 Posts
well...I drilled 3 small holes one next to each other in line, and then used flathead screwdriver... PITA,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
A dremel cut off wheel can also work to cut a screwdriver slot if you can manuver it in there.

Sometimes starting a shallow hole dead center with a drill, then moving to the next size up bit, run it backwards in the hole will work. (sort of an easy-out effect, but not always effective)

·
Registered
315 Posts
It has been quite a while since I did the ignition switch on my 82. If I recall I drilled a hole and used an easy out to remove the bolt stub. When I installed the new one I did not break off the head of the new bolt figuring I would rather take the chance of making it easier for a thief than to go through that again. Must have been a real PTA

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sometimes you can use a pencil with an eraser on the end of it like a screwdriver. If not you also can use a center punch on an angle to start turning it and finish it off with a pair on needle nose plyers.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Depends on your size but I have to pull the seat out and put the top back and wedge myself under the wheel to get to see what to drill. Then having a good light (LED TYPE) that won't burn you to see. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when drilling. It is fairly soft metal. If the breakoff bolt broke off above the
surface then you could use a drummel cutoff wheel to cut a flathead slot. If I have to drill, I use one of those square tappered easyouts after I drill and
hammer it in there and grab it with a little wrench or small vice grips and it's over. Always replace it with a bolt with a head on it so if you ever have to do it again it is much easier, and then if any of us want to drive your car when you are not around we can.
Good luck!
Stan

·
Registered
612 Posts
Always replace it with a bolt with a head on it so if you ever have to do it again it is much easier, and then if any of us want to drive your car when you are not around we can.
Good luck!
Stan
I Agree, besides car thieves are not pulling ignition, but breaking it, so it does really not matter cuz they will either stole your car, or vandalize it... :(

·
Registered
612 Posts
but only first the time ;) if you had used different bolt of coz...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts