Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speedometer and Tachometer for 1981 GTV6 needed.

My current tach is stuck and needle busted. Speedo hits 28 mph and stops.

Please pm me if you have what I need thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
6 Posts
speedo and tach

I understand that if you just trim a bit off the end of the needles the speedo and tach will work. Haven't tried it yet on my '84 GTV6 project, but the tach seems to work fine up to 2500 RPM, the speedo is stuck at 0. Any input from anyone with experience would pe appreciated

·
Registered
805 Posts
Speedo and Tach repair

I understand that if you just trim a bit off the end of the needles the speedo and tach will work. Haven't tried it yet on my '84 GTV6 project, but the tach seems to work fine up to 2500 RPM, the speedo is stuck at 0. Any input from anyone with experience would pe appreciated
Common problem with older GTV6s. It's happened a couple of times with mine. In the first incident, I tried the "fix", but it failed after a couple weeks. The next time, I got a replacement speedometer which worked for a couple of years, but then it also succumbed. The third time it happened, it was both the speedo and the tach. On recommendation of my mechanic, I took it to Foreign Speedo, which is relatively local to me. They were able to recondition both and they work great and the cost was not exorbitant. As I understand it, it's not just a stuck needle, but also the electricals also, but YMMV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey all, I am in a similar situation... tach stops at 3k rpm or so and speedo is hit or miss... literally, if i give it a quick whack it starts to work.

I could send out to repair, but by nature I like to tinker, is there a DIY out there on how to replace the tired electronics behind all of this funkiness?

Sorry for posting this in a want ad, but seemed like a similar situation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If either of you has not cut a deal on the tachs... I may be able to help. I have a few GTV6 tachs that I tested a while back.

I also have some 2 wire and 3 wire speedos. But do not presently have a way to test them, as my GTV6 is ready to go visit my mechanic. So, I don't have a test platform right now.

As I may be jumping in where others have already replied... investigate the earlier respondents first. I don't want to be seen as highjacking anyone else's sale.

If I can help on these or other GTV6 parts, please contact me directly at:
[email protected]

I have 2+ bone cars for organ donor parts.

Cheers,
Peter

·
Administrator
16,777 Posts
Many GTV6's suffer from the 'droopy needle' problem.

If the unit otherwise works and it is just the needle that is stuck the fix is quite simple. See: DIY Droopy Needle Fix & Speedo/Tach Needle Fix & Speedo & Tach Needles

Also: If anyone has a 140 mph speed to sell & it has the connections on the back like the photo attached below let me know. I'd like to replace the 85 mph unit in our '81 GTV6.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts