Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have searched for my answer and coming up null. Either wrong year or it doesn't answer my question specifically. I have this:

I need to connect this:

To this:

I have the hole drilled and cable attached, for illustration purposes I removed it. Q1: butterfly or to the plastic adapter? Q2: am I missing a modification step to the assembly? Q3: could you just tell me the answer?

Thanks

JF
1980 115 and 1962 101

·
Super Moderator
11,691 Posts
I have the hole drilled and cable attached
The hole drilled in what? The cable attached to what?

Q1: butterfly or to the plastic adapter? Q2: am I missing a modification step to the assembly?
I'm not sure I understand your question(s). But I can tell you that the cable attaches to a circular bellcrank - sort of like a pulley with a fitting on it that pushes down on the rod shown in your second photo (is this bellcrank what you removed for illustration purposes?). This bellcrank mounts on the horizontal shaft with the threaded end that extends out from the Spica manifold (it's shown close-up in your third photo). The ball swaged on the end of the cable fits into this circular bellcrank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hole drilled in what? The cable attached to what?

I'm not sure I understand your question(s). But I can tell you that the cable attaches to a circular bellcrank - sort of like a pulley with a fitting on it that pushes down on the rod shown in your second photo (is this bellcrank what you removed for illustration purposes?). This bellcrank mounts on the horizontal shaft with the threaded end that extends out from the Spica manifold (it's shown close-up in your third photo). The ball swaged on the end of the cable fits into this circular bellcrank.

I have the upper working. Need to attach shaft to the lower. Does it go to the butterfly or to plastic adapter? I am missing something to connect the bellhousing to the carb.

·
Super Moderator
11,691 Posts
Need to attach shaft to the lower. Does it go to the butterfly or to plastic adapter?
Again, it is that bent rod shown in your second picture. It goes to the outside of the linkage that connects the two Weber throttles - the bend is so that it will clear that linkage as it pushed down at full throttle. I'm not sure what plastic adapter you are referring to.

I am missing something to connect the bellhousing to the carb.
It's a bellcrank. A bellhousing is something quite different.

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
The bent rod pulls the butterfly on the rear carb and the adjustable linkage allows you to synchronize the front carb.
The SPICA manifold conversion has good and not so good features. The increase in runner length between intake valve and carb is good but on a Spider it puts the carb intakes very close to the inner fender. If you decide to stay with open horns then buy a set of full radius shorties. The disadvantages of open horns include pulling hot air which reduces power, sucking in grit which reduces the time interval between engine rebuilds and excessive noise that may sound cool at first but not at the end of a 2 hour drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts