Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my 40 year old suspension with a new feel or better than original driving experience. The engine is running very well and has has a header,pusher fan better exhaust. I have to consider that the roads here in the North of Boston and So New Hampshire are pretty bad due to our winters. Looking for suspension setup tips that would work. THANKS

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
The stock setup is fine if you are not interested in high speed driving. Just go through it and replace all the worn parts. One exception is it is worthwhile getting adjustable control arms so that you can set the camber correctly. If you decide to stiffen and lower it go with a handling kit from Classic Alfa or Alfaholics. Their spring rates and damper selection are sensible.

Reactions: PSk

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
328 Posts
I just redid my 78 Spider.... There is a lot of debate on the board regarding suspension, especially rubber v poly....but here is what I did.

Front:
New upper A arm w/ a Poly caster bushing
new upper and lower ball joints
New lower A arm bushings
All new tie rod and center track rod ends
New caster rod end
New stabilizer bushings....The ends are rubber. The to body are Poly
New spring rubbers
Original Springs
Koni Sport Yellow shocks set to Full Soft

Rear:
All new trailing arm bushings....Poly
New Trunion cone bushing.....Poly
New Trunion Spacers.....Poly
New stabilizer bar bushings....the ends are rubber. The to body are Poly
New spring rubbers
Original Springs
Koni Sport Yellow shocks set to Full Soft

The Koni yellows might be a little overkill with the stock springs, but I like them. (you might like the Reds) After fiddling with the tire pressure, it feels awesome. The poly in the rear make for a "harder" less forgiving experience, but very responsive. I would take Ed's advice and get the adjustable upper A arms so you can adjust the camber. I've driven the roads where you are. The country is spectacular, but if you are anywhere close to the city, I wouldn't lower or stiffen the suspension.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
448 Posts
My set up is Koni reds - half soft front off rear, new standard bushes throughout including the often forgotten wishbones apart from poly bushes for the castor arm, T bar to diff mount and poly washers for the T bar to body mounts, removed rear sway bar , uprated front sway bar and a set of CN36's, you get excellent handling reduced scuttle shake and a nice ride while retaining standard ride height, biggest improvement was the CN36's, they are superb giving the spider excellent steering feel and handling, big modern tyres will spoil any other improvements you make

1 - 4 of 4 Posts