Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the California smog report for my 1979 Alfa Romeo Spider (~190,000 miles)

Test / RPM
1) 15mph / 2027
2) 25mph / 2308

CO2 / O2
1) 12.39 / 1.01
2) 14.07 / 0.71

HC (ppm)
Max / Ave / Meas
1) 222 / 47 / 87
2) 190 / 37 / 37

CO (%)
Max / Ave / Meas
1) 1.41 / 0.20 / 2.63
2) 1.21 / 0.17 / 0.03

NO (ppm)
Max / Ave / Meas
1) 1396 / 554 / 108
2) 1256 / 468 / 445

I read this high CO at low rpm, with everything else ok, as a rich mixture at low rpms. I yanked the air filter housing out and looked at the fuel injection pump. I notice the way the control rods are set, the unit control lever is far away from the reference screw. Like, I'd say 2mm or so (0.8"). Could that be enough to cause this high CO at low rpms? :confused:

A little bit more info. The car has a real hard time starting when cold. Starts stalls. When warm it fires right up. I've always thought the thermal actuator had an issue. But I haven't got around to dealing with it. However, the fuel injection system does not have a temperature setting lever on the barometric compensator (???) , and I'm not sure if that screw needs adjustment or not. Doe anyone no the deal with that on this model?

One last thing. Luckily, my job is overseeing the design and development of smog measurement systems. (Ya so, it's my fault when you fail.)
Gas Analyzer ANDROS 6500 and 6520 Automotive Modules by LumaSense Technologies
So I will grab one off the shelf and rig it up.
We don't build full systems, just the part the actually measures the smog.
So it takes a little rigging.
But anyway, I'm going to tinker with the fuel injection and see if I can bring the CO down. I don't have any of the specialty tools so I'll have to wing it. But any advice / ideas I'd appreciate.

P.S. I'm reading through SPICA posts. But I thought I'd post this anyway cause its kind of interesting. I don't see full smog reports up here too often.

·
Registered
what part?
10,119 Posts
if you cannot get the co down,, try 1/2 tank of e85, and 1/2 tank of reg. gas... then after you pass.. drive the tank to empty as fast as you can..( a little trick , i learned from my musle car freinds. those big carbs and cams.. are hard to clean up) also just for the test , you are in cali., imflate your rear tires to 40 psi just for the test.. less rolling rest. easyer to get by clean that way

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dude,

I have a smog place that will pass you ahem ahem, for 100 bucks cash. I had to do it for my Alfa...since it orginally failed.

PM me your email address as I wont post the place on a public forum.

Mark

·
Premium Member
22,250 Posts
I would try to get it to pass properly before jury-rigging or doing illegal stuff.
Yes, rich at low rpm; was the car fully warmed up? How is the actuator? Might be set a little too rich, and if you're not close to a .019" gap at full temp, it's set improperly (assuming the reference screw is in its original location).
Otherwise the readings look quite good; I'm guessing you have a good cat from the other numbers.
Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts