Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace this cylinder tomorrow. I would appreciate any advice anyone might have.
I have a new slave cylinder and hose. I am replacing the the old cylinder because it was leaking at the rubber boot and the clutch worked inconsistently.
This is my first attempt at mechanical work on my Spider.
Thanks

·
Administrator
16,377 Posts
The slave cylinder is held onto the bell housing by a pair of large circlips. Get a quality circlip plier. Wire brush the circlip area and give it a squirt of penetrating oil (I like PB Blaster).

When installing the new cylinder note that it can rotate in the mounting area. Make sure the bleed screw is at the top - 12 o'clock - so all the air can be expelled.

Bleeding sometimes is easy but sometimes it takes a long while (plus a few swear words).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice on the installation.
Lino Durante at Alfa of Tacoma Ltd, (253) 572-Alfa in Tacoma Wash was very helpful. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I called. He supplied the new cylinder and hose for $124.00 US and then I got ripped off by UPS who charged me $66.00 to bring it accross the border.

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
I changed out a master cylinder yesterday on a car I just bought. It was empty of fluid. I bled it on my own. I attached a piece of rubber tube to the bleed nipple and tied the open end about a foot higher than the nipple. I filled the resevoir, opened the nipple and slowly pumped the pedal about ten times. I verified that there was a puddle of brake fluid on my driveway under the open end of the tube. I tightened up the nipple and the clutch worked perfectly. I could have rigged up some kind of container to catch the fluid but I chose not to.
Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
74 GTV
79 Spider
82 Spider (new parts car)
88 Verde

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flambero
My cylinder was $89US and then I also got a new rubber hose as well and both items totaled $124US.
I don't know what you mean by IAP?
I was advised that the old cylinder might be scored and that the rebuild kit might not work if that was the case. In my case the brake fluid was leaking out the rubber boot which meant that it was getting by the piston.

Pat Mills
79 Spider
2002 Yamaha RoadStar

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
How iomportant i it to replace an old rusty cylander vs. rebuild it? How are the IAP cylanders? They are suspicously cheep, if you paid $124 for yours.
IAP cylinders are fine. However, a while back I got one that had an OD a couple of thousanths too large. It would not go into the bracket. Probably from a different supplier.

International replaced it with no fuss.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just a few more questions... How important is it to have the speed bleeder used in the clutches for dummies threads? I'm not seeing it on IAP, should I be able to find this at the average auto store? Wich hose off IAP am I looking for, the hydraulic, or the stainless steel? Are these the snap rings I need? Were is the clutch fluid resevior located? Thanksss.

·
Administrator
16,377 Posts
How important is it to have the speed bleeder used in the clutches for dummies threads?
Speed Bleeders just make the job a bit easier. Thus, not vital but nice to have. Google "Speed Bleeders" and you'll find their web page.

Which hose off IAP am I looking for, the hydraulic, or the stainless steel?
Either. The SS is considered an 'upgrade'. It may be more durable. Might even somehow improve the clutch 'feel' but the standard hose is quite adequate. Plus the regular hose is less expensive.

Are these the snap rings I need?
Yep

Where is the clutch fluid resevior located?
OK, now you're scaring me! This BB is a great resource but we can't make a mechanic out of you. Do you have a shop manual?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced a slave cyl. on a 74. The Snap ring pliers are a must. Make sure they are quality, don't waste your time doing the job without them, or doing them with a cheap pair. I also did the job without a lift. I believe the time could have been cut in half if I went to the local auto hobby shop. I didn't think the bleeding job was that difficult as long as you had another person there to help out. My wife reluctently helped me out then she was surprized when it only took a minute out of her day to finish the bleeding. I don't really consider myself mechanically inclined so if I can pull it off, you should be okay. Hope it goes smoothly!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks for the help. I got a Haynes shop manual comming in the mail. I'm definately not a mechanic, but I'm generally pretty good at figuring mechanical things out, that in mind, is there anythingthing else I should know before starting?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts