Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '79 spider. The car has been sitting for quite some time.
It does have rust and will need some sheet metal but I want to get it mechanically sound first.
How do you drain the fuel tank on these?
This is my 2nd Alfa. I owned a 1985 Graduate 20 years ago that constantly had a clogged fuel pump do to rust in the tank. So, I would like to start there.

I know sheet metal is available for these but what about structural steel?
Where can I get a shop manual?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I recently purchased a '79 spider. The car has been sitting for quite some time.
It does have rust and will need some sheet metal ...
Rust you say? How much rust? Better post some pictures. Rust is frequently fatal for these cars, and if you have rusted rockers, you will never. ever. get. your. invested money out of the car.

This thread should serve as a cautionary tale. The car referenced here turned out beautifully, but this is an accurate portrayal of what a rusty Alfa will require: Rusty Alfa made good

Scroll down to the bottom of the first page...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheel well around battery. One floor pan is soft, as is spare tire bottom. Will post pictures soon. I'm more concerned with making sure it is mechanically sound at this point.

You are correct Boccaccia. I've yet to come close to breaking even on any restoration I've done!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts