Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making the decision to part with this wonderful project Alfa as I need something a bit larger for a van, and would like to make some more space. This is only the second F12 I am aware of in the States. It starts and runs quite well, but needs more regular usage. It has rust in some areas, mostly covered in the pictures with duct tape. I had the starter rebuilt a few years ago, and a previous owner had the brake master cylinder rebuilt as well several years ago. Comes with extra keys, and factory shop manuals. Needs a fresh battery. Has a little over 53k KM on the odometer, believed to be original. Located near Sugar Grove, IL (west of Aurora) Asking price is $2300.

Contact me with questions,

vince
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has the original 4 cylinder Perkins diesel between the front seats, sorry I forgot to mention it. Engine was rebuilt 9/2002.

·
Premium Member
21,463 Posts
Is that Timothy Rodgers' old van? If so my son and I had rust rain down on us from the roof riding around in Santa Barbara.

PS, hello Vince.

Andrew

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Andrew,

Yes, that's the one! As much as I've kept it inside almost all of it's 4.5 years here, it has gotten a bit rustier even when it was inside and never driven in rain or snow.

vince

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wanted to thank everyone who has asked me for more info, pictures, etc about the van. I am going to post some additional pictures of the van and it's areas of concern here. Then I'll respond to people in the order they contacted me. I have over 20 people to respond to.

To answer some of the big questions: It is titled in IL as a 1971. Built January 1979 per Alfa. Blue is the original color according to Alfa. Engine is the original 4 cylinder Perkins diesel, supposedly rebuilt in 2002. Yes, it is the van that Dirk imported and was owned by Tim, then Emilio in Santa Barbara. It was rusty then, and despite not being driven in rain or snow and being garaged for almost all of 4.5 years, the rust has gotten a bit worse. Not very interested in trades unless a yellow kamm back pre '75 spider in fairly decent shape is offered.

I am hoping it goes to a good Alfa home and may even spend some time with a competent metalworker to repair the rust.

Again, many thanks for your interest and patience!

vince

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As to the payment questions, I prefer cash in hand, USPS money orders, or a wire transfer to my bank if you are far away. I'm not really interested in using PayPal due to their fees, etc.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
What speed will the van cruise at?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found that it is most happy about 55-60 mph. Any faster, and the front end starts to feel a little loose.

vince

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like many, I'd love to show up my sons with their VW Westphalia's. This would do it, but can you imagine the $$$ to make this into a camper? I wonder if one my extra V6s would fit ;-)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Speaking of VW Westfalias....look what I found behind the Blue Swallow motel in Tucumcari, NM when I was driving the van back from California. External dimensions are pretty much the same.

vince

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,463 Posts
It's FWD, so putting an Alfa 2000 and drivetrain in it might be a challenge. The transaxle doesn't appear that it would readily mate up with the Alfa bolt pattern, my guess?
Andrew

1 - 20 of 78 Posts