Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my clutch in the 1978 spider. The fork has a bit of wiggle around the bearing. Fork looks to be worn a bit. Bearing has a bit of the metal missing. A few questions:
--- anyone know where I could buy a new fork?
--- the clutch fork retainer was rusted through and broke so I am replacing that - does the bearing need a retainer clip or does does the fork retainer also hold the bearing?

see pics below

thanks all!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
They do wear, though the bearing carrier itself is softer than the fork and typically wears more. I've had them wear so much, similar to but beyond how yours is, that the whole thing ****ed sideways and would get stuck. You could weld up and grind flat. I'd think that'd last as long as you use the car. I might have a NOS one, let me look. But a good used one and a new bearing, I'd think you'd be fine.

There are two springs, one a circular thing that holds the bearing to the fork, and another hairspring that holds the fork to the pivot. The latter you should have, the former doesn't really matter, but sure, nice if you have it. The clearance between the bearing and the pressure plate contact point is small, it just rides there.

Andrew

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
I have never been able to get that circular spring on (holds bearing to fork). I would love to see how it goes on but until I can figure out how to mount that spring, I;ll keep using just the hairspring .... works just fine but bugs me I cant figure out that other one!

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
Most of them are gone by now in my experience. The GTV I just did an engine on still had it, I managed to spread/rethread it into place for the new TO bearing. It really just holds the TO bearing back a hair off contact with the pressure plate center. Never had a problem when the car didn't have one.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,179 Posts
OEM style throw out bearings are available from Classic Alfa and they have softer metal in contact with the fork. Cheaper after market bearings are made of steel. If you decide to go with the steel one I will sell you a brand new one from Centerline for 60% of what they are asking for them - part # CP315.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all your input! I have since spoken to the guys at Centerline and they have indicated that my year and model - 78 Spider did not use the clip to attached the bearing to the fork. I found a blow out diagram on line and it also did not show the clip for my model. Centerline referred me to AlfaParts as they indicated they may have replacement forks. Spoke to Jon at Alfa Part and sent him pics of my fork. He only has a supply of used forks and he though mine was probably as good as any he had and probably ok. I got a new bearing today that I ordered and it actually fits snugger than the old one.

So I think I am good with..... old fork, new bearing, new spring and no clip!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have never been able to get that circular spring on (holds bearing to fork). I would love to see how it goes on but until I can figure out how to mount that spring, I;ll keep using just the hairspring .... works just fine but bugs me I cant figure out that other one!
some good clear photos here showing that C spring
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/6347305-post14.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts