Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1978 spider rubber bumper is cracked.
Questions.
1. is there a way to get a as-new bumper?
2. I heard there is a fiberglass replacement. Does anyone have a contact?
3. I heard that some earlier model chrome bumpers fit. Any information?
4. Is there a way to repair the rubber?

Thank you.
Ken Mohn
Arizona

·
Registered
373 Posts
Fiberglas replacements are floating around, i think i've seen on ebay from time to time. I have one myself, though I got it from my mechanic who happened to have one lying around.

The chrome bumpers can be retrofitted i believe though it's not totally simple. They hug much closer to the car. I know there are adapter kits for front bumpers and maybe that's true for the rear as well. The chrome ones are very expensive to get new though. I kept my eye out for decent used ones for a very long time and they seem to be near-extinct.

The originals on the late 70s cars are terrible and astonishingly heavy so if you can find a suitable replacement i would suggest it. i don't know that restoring them, even if possible, is worthwhile.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had a nice crack in my rear bumper which I fixed using construction adhesive and clamping. A bit of sanding and painted the whole bumper. Not an invisible repair but looks 100% better.

·
Registered
what part?
10,097 Posts
i saw in this area, that a bmw 2002 , and early 320i rear bumper will work

·
Registered
404 Posts
Do you have a photo of the results and/or process? I have a few holes in mine I'd like to fill and clean up.
Sadly winter is still hanging on for dear life in my neck of the woods. Should be able to get a pick by next week. Unfortunately I don't have a "before" pic but the corner of the bumper was pretty much torn off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. I talked to the guy who makes the bumpers and he may start making them again. The chrome bumpers seem to need welding and readjustments to the supports.
I flipped the bumper upside down. the crack is on the bottom.
Oh well. I will keep looking for a original, in perfect shape bumper. Haha.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I started a thread about this awhile back. An early Chevy Sprint bumper is a good fit with minor modifications to the mounting hardware.

Retrofit Bumper

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd be willing to sell both or either front and back bumper off my 1978, since I went stainless. I refurbished the rear only about a year ago, before deciding to convert. The conversion wasn't easy, but the look is great and true to the original design for our model car. I straightened the curvy "open mouth" effect on the old bumper, and added in a new "chrome"strip to replace the aluminum one. Now I know why they say "never drive your Alfa in the rain". Not perfect but looks good. I'll let the alfisiti here on Alfabb decide what a reasonable price might be, but local pick up only. Shipping would be expensive. The bumpers are in San Francisco. For sale, black bumpers 1978 spider.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts