Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
If I work out a deal with the seller, I'll take the whole car, wheels included. My hope/plan is to look at the car Friday.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Thanks. For now my plan is to take the good tires off the Berlina, get them mounted on the BWAs, and put those back on the Berlina. Some incentive to get the rest of the car up to the level of the wheels.
This car is in much better bodily condition than I would have expected, and it's complete. That doesn't mean it's a beauty; the top is shot, the interior is pretty so so, and the engine didn't produce great compression when we spun it over, but I may do some more research there. It's not rusty at all, amazingly. That's the Sacramento Valley for you.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andrew I'm glad that the 50+ year old tow bar did its job.

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
I put in a couple hours today and got it running. Put the points back in the dual point distributor, got spark, put in some gas, found I had fuel at the injection pump. Jury-rigged a few electrical connections, and it eventually fired and ran on all four. Warm I got compression readings 160-180, not bad, so I may use this engine after all in the Berlina, which I had given up on after poor readings in Sac yesterday.
It leaks fuel at the rear hoses, and the wiring is helter skelter after prior removal of the ignition switch and some fuse-box work. I'll sort that out. The heater valve leaks water all over the interior, so I'll short-circuit the heater so as to keep water in the engine. It has an actuator, but I presume it's not giving any projection at all (I haven't checked yet) so it seems to run pretty rich. I'll swap in a good actuator. Then I'll try to drive it. It has clutch and brakes. We'll see.
Near as Lenard and I can figure, it hasn't run since 1997. This is a testament to Alfa engineering, I think, especially the Spica pump. Let it sit 14 years, put a little gas in it, and it works. And still got clutch and brakes.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
No. It'll probably go as a kit. I have an engine and trans to plop in, but the engine needs looking at. Seller told me the block was fine, but it at least needs a head gasket and beyond that I don't know. Once I get this engine into the Berlina, I'll attend to sorting this one out as a complete roller. It's not my plan to sell it as a running car unless the extra engine looks like a doddle to get running. I will basically just want it out of my driveway, which is a jigsaw puzzle right now.
Adnrew

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
For anyone dying for another late Spica Spider from the Valley, try this one in Fresno:

Alfa Romero Spyder, 1979 - $1500 (563 W. Stuart Ave., Fresno)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-03-17, 7:11AM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice Red Alfa Romero Spyder convertible..Perfect body and good working car (when working)...Needs a mechanics touch.. $1500.00 or best offer...May be seen @ 563 w. stuart ave., Fresno

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Who wants this car? I took the engine and trans for my Berlina (which has proved to be a story in itself).

It's complete minus engine/trans, with working brakes, clutch, electrical system, suspension, radiator, exhaust, driveshaft, sump guard, 4.56 LS axle, small above-bumper grille piece, good glass, no rust, four misc. wheels and tires. I drove it around before pulling the engine, so I know it functions. Poor top, usable reupholstered seats, cracked dash, working gauges.

Pick up in Berkeley, must be towed. I'd like to see it go soon, like Saturday. Any $$ offer considered/accepted, otherwise it's going to APE. Make a LeMons car? Use the shell? Cut off the nose? I don't care, just take it away. Has lien papers and original blue plates, no title. Willing to toss in a 74 block, 81 head, misc intake manifold, spare trans, what have you.

Andrew (510) 526-0391

·
Registered
411 Posts
I drove over and took a look at that red Spider. The pass side door handle is broken off. Has a low end type enamel paint job. The top has a hole in it. The head rests are gone. The owner said that 1st 2nd 3rd all crunch. Will not start. Has older BF Goodrich tires that are half flat. Who ever buys it will have to chase the spiders out of the spider.

Hay Andrew, That is a great deal for someone up there in the bay area.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2282093199.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts