Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Putting my transmission and drive shaft back on. Thinking about using lactate blue. But I need the torque specs for the following:
  • Transmission mount with rubber cylindar
  • Flex disc between transmission and drive shaft
  • drive shaft connection to each other
See pics below...Thanks!!
Trans mount rubber disc.jpg
Flex disc to drive shaft.jpg
Drive shaft connetors.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
May I inquire as to why you plan to use Loctite? I doubt if the factory used a thread glue on these fasteners.
As much as I struggled to remove some of the original propshaft bolts on my '88, I was glad that none of the previous mechanics had added to my misery by adding thread lock where it wasn't really required. And with intimate knowledge of older Alfas, I am quite sure that everything on those cars will need to be unbolted sooner or later. Do you not plan on owning the car for long?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
.... I need the torque specs for the following:
  • Transmission mount with rubber cylindar
  • Flex disc between transmission and drive shaft
  • drive shaft connection to each other
some funky colors going on there;)

this is from my 2.0 litre (S4) manual (not 100% sure if there is any difference to your '78, kind of doubt it)

no mention of loctite for any of these items.
Trans mount: no torque value given...just do it up nice 'n tite, without going crazy.
Flex disc: 39.8 - 41.3 ft-lbs
Propshaft flange nuts: 27.3 - 28.8 ft-lbs

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Norseman50 - I just thought that since lots of vibration and movement going on down there maybe its a good place for some loctite? I will go with the consensus......

Hi spidersrie4 - thanks for the torques! LOL yes funky colors . So everything I took off that had some rust on it I cleaned it up and painted it - had some fun with it and went with alfa colors of red and green (plus some black)! :)

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
the nuts that hold the giubo are nylock, they wont need any locktite.
The bolts that hold the driveshaft together are also supposed to be 'locking' (ie nylock or other) and they wont vibrate loose either. Grind down the ring end of a 13mm snap on wrench until it fits there and use that
The big bolt thru the trans mount "I think" is supposed to have a lockwasher
get the proper fasteners and ditch the locktite for that application

·
Premium Member
21,204 Posts
The crosswise bolt has a star washer on it. Hard to get a normal torque wrench in there!
Early giubo bolts had a pal nut, late ones are nyloc. I frequently find them too tight but have never found them too loose.
Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts