Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found out why my Spider has been intermittently blowing smoke while I drive. It looks like this "Catch-can" that is connected to the cam cover and intake is allowing oil into the throttle body closest to the front of the vehicle.

What is this can? PCV?

I replaced all the lines today, hopefully it will stop. Any part number on the can itself?

Why is oil getting to the throttle body in the first place?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
that's an oil/vapor seperater, take it off, clean it.. soak it it paint thinner.. shake, pour out the yuck stuff, repete. as it get clogs, it won't alow the system to work, so you burn oil,also replaced the little hose from the bottom of it to the dipstick tube..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! Soaking it in paint thinner as I type this. An hour should be good, it was really full of some.....stuff. Will replace the dipstick line as that's the only one I haven't gotten to.

I guess I'll be cleaning this part with every oil change from now on.

Is there anything else that would cause oil to show in the throttle body?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The short version is that after the oil vapor separator separates the oil from the vapor, the oil returns to the sump via the small hose attached to the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
512 Posts
that line returns oil to the sump.... When it works well.. the big hose that goes to the air cleaner should be delivering a heavy vapor at most.. to be burned with the mixture. The oil that comes out of the valve cover and into the seperator settles in the bottom area and needs to return to work via the dipstick.
Here's what the insides can look like.. a mix of rust and goo.. the bottom screen..when clogged, allows the oil to go where yours did..))... More than a few threads on alternatives and concerns of these things, but necessary in some form.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent information, My Friends! Thankyou. Now, the trouble will be trying to go to sleep knowing all this stuff.

A little update: I unplugged the lower hose going to the intake to see if it would stop smoking. Still doing it. Especially if I'm idling at a light for a while, when I go into first it'll shoot a little cloud and then clear from then on. It's never while I'm rolling, only from a stop.

Took off the intake, ran my fingers along the inside of the throttle bodies. Again, only the first one (the one closest to the front bumper) has oil lined in it. Is this internal? Is this definitely related to a bad/unrepairable OSV? I have to take the filter out tomorrow and inspect it for pooled oil. Maybe it's residual from before cleaning the OSV. Don't know.

Anyhow, these diagrams and bits of advice should help me along tomorrow after work. Will be looking for alternatives as nobody seems to be selling this part.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Survey says :
check your brake booster
when you stop brake fluid leaks in is picked up by booster vacuum line when you accelerate then stops smoking when all burned off clue was always happens when stopped
does not hurt of course to service the vapor sep unit cut my oil consumption in half well ... that and the new cam cover gasket

·
Registered
954 Posts
Took off the intake, ran my fingers along the inside of the throttle bodies. Again, only the first one (the one closest to the front bumper) has oil lined in it. Is this internal? Is this definitely related to a bad/unrepairable OSV? I have to take the filter out tomorrow and inspect it for pooled oil. Maybe it's residual from before cleaning the OSV. Don't know.

Note the arrangement of the vacuum lines on top of the intake manifold. Each intake has a separate vacuum line, and they all meet at the same point. The line from the OVS is also in close proximity to the lines going to No. 1 and 2 intake runners. See the diagram below. I would check the vacuum lines to the intake runner no. 19, and the connection marked no. 12 at the base of the airbox, for the presence of oily residue

Attachments

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
If you want to know for sure just disconnect the two lines from the separator (large one to air cleaner, small one to idle air manifold) and see if it still does it. It's just the crankcase breather, won't do any harm to disconnect it for a short time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello, Friend!

As for question one, there hasn't been much progress. Still waiting for the Lingenfelter OVS to show up in the mail.

Also, I disconnected the lower/larger hose a few days ago, but not the one leading up to the idle. Will disconnect that one as well.

The thing is, I would be thinking this is a valve issue except the mystery oil keeps appearing in the throttle body. I still haven't inspected the air canister for pooled oil.

Had to put everything on hold as I had to keep the appt. with the body shop, so I'll let you guys know what happened and what was the cause after she gets back.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Survey says :
check your brake booster
when you stop brake fluid leaks in is picked up by booster vacuum line when you accelerate then stops smoking when all burned off clue was always happens when stopped
does not hurt of course to service the vapor sep unit cut my oil consumption in half well ... that and the new cam cover gasket
bingo.... my hunch is the vacumn booster check valve on the manifold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts