Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1978 Lancia Beta Berlina in San Francisco, CA

For Sale 
5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ckeen74 
#1 ·
FOR SALE: 1978 LANCIA BETA 1800 BERLINA - $1675

Third owner, since 2008. Roughly 92,000 miles. The car has been on several local tours and runs well. Work done during my ownership includes:
• New alternator.
• New timing and water pump belts.
• New thermostatic sensor for electric fan.
• Rebuilt carburetor.
• Check ignition system, set points gap and timing.
• New flexible fuel lines.
• New Carter P60504 fuel pump.
• New Sumitomo HTR200 175/70HR14 tires.
• New exhaust system from the cat back
• New smog pump belt
• New stock-spec strut inserts
• Final tuning/set-up by Jaan Hjorth at EddinsMoto, since I wasn’t able to figure it out myself. He installed flexible fuel lines running through the interior of the car, rejetted the carb, verified the cam timing, and set ignition timing.
• New interior sound insulation, since the old stuff got soaked in the fuel leaking from the old rusty fuel line.

I have records to document all work done, and some records all the way back to the car’s purchase in 1978, including the window sticker. Also comes with the Lancia factory manual and a Haynes manual.

DRIVETRAIN/CHASSIS: Pulls strongly through all gears, but is a bit hesitant since it's been tuned for a recent smog test. Shifting is a little vague, still useable but could probably be helped with a Montgomery shift kit. Steering is sharp, power steering works well, and the suspension is set for comfort but does provide very respectable roadholding. Brakes strong and straight, and there are no clunks or rattles in the suspension (barring one new one from the left front). Body has remarkably little rust (most of it surface), and the car has been garaged during my ownership. The original paint does show its age, but was buffed by the previous owner and looks pretty decent.

ELECTRICAL: Generally in very good condition – even the original 4-speaker Blaupunkt works well and has great reception. All lights, multi-speed fan, and gauges work well, although it appears the oil pressure gauge needs a new sender (included). The rear window defroster worked after dinner when I had it parked outside one evening. The previous owner replaced the original column stalks with a part from a Scorpion, so the wiper connector does not match. For what it’s worth, I was told the wipers did work fine before then. New battery in 2008.

INTERIOR: Decent carpet for a 32-year-old car, with clean leather seats and no funny smells. The leather has dried a bit, and the driver’s seat shows splitting at the seams. I was advised by Jaan to treat the leather with a softener used on horse saddles and cover it with plastic wrap for a week, which would soften it enough to restitch. The trunk is also spotless, with the rubber floormat and nearly-complete toolkit present and in good shape.

SUMMARY: Overall, this is a very solid example of a first-series Beta Berlina. I am selling because I am restoring my 1979 Alfa Alfetta GT, but I am confident this would be a fun event car, and you’ll never see yourself coming or going! Check out Flickr: Lancia Beta Berlina's Photostream for more photos.

Lastly, I could swear there was a forum for non-Alfas for sale, but that no longer exists, and I don't see any rules against posting here, so here goes!

See less See more
#5 ·
sgt pepper -- why hassle? It's easier to just look here.

#7 ·
Sold!

Last night I sent the car off to its new home. The new owner had a long resume of oddball Italian cars including at least one Beta, so it's in good hands!

#10 ·
That was my ex-car your wife saw - that's where the new owner lives. Glad it made it up there and that the new owner is driving it around!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.