Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From pot to fire

I just bought a 1999 916, so need to make space.

I bought my 78 Fetta several months ago, and the 916 will hopefully do the same mission, but better.

The Fetta is a fun driver. I personally would not target it for a high level restoration, but it is remarkably nice for a DD.

Although it ran when it arrived, the PO had been focused on other endeavors for a while, so some elements had gone untended. I’ve addressed all of the important things, and a number of “nice tos”.

I’ve got the receipts from an engine overhaul not many miles ago, showing substantial enhancements. It’s not a race engine, but it is strong. Tires are recent, but slightly over-sized. Brakes and suspension sound, with fresh pads up front.

Interior is quite nice, plus I’ve straightened out some details.

PO had it resprayed in the original red. Looks ok from 10 feet.

What I have done:

Straightened out the electrics. New headlight/turn switch. New H1 Marchal high beams. NOS taillight lenses. Items in center console currently disconnected, ie emergency flasher, cigarette lighter, rear defroster switch. Might get to these before sale, or not. From the looks of it, I don’t think the rear window defroster grid will work anyway. I have already bought and installed new defrost and flasher switches.

I got all of the gauges working happily. New oil pressure sender.

Removed sure start and replaced with fresh TA. Tuning 99%, but needs another round or two to perfect. Engine runs great. Trans works well, with positive shifts and no inordinate grinding (don’t slap into second).

I installed a new MP46 Blaupunkt radio, two front tweeters, and a Sound Ordnance sub in the back. New antenna. Car came with two, aftermarket speakers mounted on rear deck. Sounds great!

The trunk was bare of original trim when it arrived. I sourced a used rear cover, cleaned it up and installed. Fabricated side trim cards, covered with padding and black vinyl. Carpet cut and laid over new dynomat. Possibly good to make new cover for fuel tank, and I’ll include the matching carpet for that.

I’ve got some parts on hand for future endeavors. Some AC parts, Euro two-exit exhaust manifold. I’ll take an inventory and publish later.

Known issues:

Engine leaks some oil. I installed a new Spica base gasket and O-ring, which helped, but some leak remains.
PO painted wheels a light, misty gray. You might like it.
I’d rather change to the right sized tire, but these are about 2 1/2 years old.

Gotta go help wife, so will finish this later.

Price, $6,000. That’s what I paid for it, so all of the parts, repair, and improvements are a bonus.

Reactions: 1978alfa

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll get to pics over the weekend. Too bloody hot, and I spent the morning hand cutting and laying some repair sod.

Air pump long gone. No surprise.
A smallish blistering under paint on both forward rockers, just aft of wheel wells. No other areas of rust that I could find. Car was southern AZ for much of its life, so more sun issues than water.
Rubber seals around windows tired from sun. Some cracking, and broken out pieces. This was what I was addressing when the 916 came on the radar. It needs some study, as 116 rubber bits seem to have options. I’m thinking this is not a big job, but some of you will know better than me.

I replaced the rear hatch lock assy with a good-used, including key.

PO reported that the front torsion bars are GT6 units. If you can guide me how to confirm, I’ll do so.

Driver’s side window surround loose from door at the rear. I expect to fix that in the coming week.

I bought a new-in-Alfa-box wiper motor. Then, once I got the new switch installed the wipers suddenly healed themselves. Might offer the motor separately, but if you want it and buy the car before I get around to it, you can have it.

The column switch appears to be for a later model, or possibly GTV6, as it has a position for intermittent wiping. My car’s original system was just off, slow, and a little faster. The intermittent function is provided, I think, by a module. I hope to find one over at Larry’s soon.

I bought a pair of new hood mounted spray nozzles, but the rest of the washer system is sitting on a shelf. Not sure I’ll get that done immediately, but I’ll be beavering away until someone steals my car.

Stand by..... for the rest of the story....

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
How about pictures of the 916?;)

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first sentence in post #3 is my intention to get pictures over the weekend. It’s 94 outside, and I spent the morning hand-cutting and laying sod to fix dead spots in my yard. With what may be a broken, and now throbbing, toe. I ain’t going back out there until the cool of tomorrow morning.

So, while I rehydrate in the shaded AC, I’m dredging up the details people will want to know.

If anyone is curious about me being a ham-fisted Alfa-rookie. Uh. No. I simply won’t half-do a repair. So, in this case I’m trying to recall anything that I think needs attention. I expect it’ll be a couple of weeks before the 916 arrives, so I’ll be able to keep sorting the car until then.

As for pics of the 916, you can go here.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Was not aware what 916 you acquired although "1999" should have been the clue it wasn't built by Ducati. That would have made it a 996.

Well, congrats on the Spider and GLWS.

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was not aware what 916 you acquired although "1999" should have been the clue it wasn't built by Ducati. That would have made it a 996.

Well, congrats on the Spider and GLWS.
What Spider? I’ve got a 77 115 Spider that I use as a DD. Are you referring to the Alfa 916 GTV I just bought? It’s the one shown in the link to pictures, although I just realized those pics were mostly interior and engine.

Here’s a link to the auction, with exterior pics.

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just spotted while taking the photos that my fuel cap is gone! I'm at a half-tank, so must believe it's not sitting back at the pump. Oh well, I'll sort that out.

The PO removed the manual throttle pull to engineer the Surestart to it, but that didn't work out. So, I finally figured out how to reinsert it into the dash, and will do so, now, whether I can figure out how to attach it to the throttle remains to be seen.

Can't say I like the gray-ish wheels. They just look dirty to me. I hate to undertake cleaning them off lest the potential buyer says "I wish you hadn't!"

After sitting in my garage for a month, it lit right up. Always been an easy engine to start - when cold. Once you learn the technique for hot, that's OK, too. I still need to triple confirm the TA gap, and FCS adjustment.

Next on the list is to take an inventory of what I've got in boxes for continuing the prettyfying.

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I certainly don't mind running it through BaT. In fact, I just sold a 1967 Yamaha YL1 over there for $4,000! If that little teenager bike is worth that much, then someone will really like this Fetta.

I wish to stress - this car has served some folks well, and has mostly NOT been messed with. Much. Removal of smog pump and a few related things. Sorry, Californians. Probably not for you. I may have some that stuff in the boxes, but as I didn't do the removal, I dunno for sure.

The AC is partly out, but the under-dash stuff is still in place. I planned to re-do the AC, although up at 4,700', with a summer density altitude around 7,000', it would have slowed down the excitement a bit. The car I just bought already has AC, so that'll be up to the next owner. I did buy a good-used condenser from a fellow BBer, so that's something.

The smallish steering wheel appears a bit out of place, but even with the large tires, it steers quite pleasantly. Handling is great. I just noticed the rear springs are red. That might indicate something to you 116 guys, and would seem to match the story of GTV6 front bars.

So, give me a shout if you wanna come visit!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts