Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 Alfa that I'm finally getting serious about, my plan is to see if I can get it up and running. The crank moves when in gear (great sign), interior is in pretty good shape, body is in good shape (few pinholes of rust), and only has 36k miles on it.
I'm in the process of pulling out the fuel tank (is there a bolt underneath? I pulled the lines and 4 bolts (2 on each side of the tank)).
From what I have read I need to replace plugs, clean fuel tank, replace fuel lines, change filters, SPICA oil and belt, belts, battery Is there anything else before I try and start it?
If there's someone smart mechanically on these cars I would greatly appreciate their help.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,308 Posts
The first thing I would check is to see if the oil has gasoline in it. If so, the injection pump is shot.

If the car has been sitting for a number of years, it's always a good idea to lubricate some things before starting it. A bit of engine oil and or marvel mystery oil in to the cylinders via the spark plugs will help lubricate the top rings. Just before starting, remove the valve cover and pour some oil down the length of the camshafts. This will help lubricate them.

When the big moment arrives, remove the coil wire and run the starter long enough to build up some oil pressure. Then, reconnect and try to start it.

Best of luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts