Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked compression - cylinders 1&3 are at 60 psi and cylinders 2&4 are at 150.

When the car is running, it blows smoke out of the hose connected to the outlet on the valve cover beside the oil cap. This same outlet also has another hose connected to it, I guess for fuel...

Rings? Valves? Head gasket?

Tomorrow, I will go get a block tester kit and see if I can cancel out the gasket.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like crankcase pressure caused by worn rings. Head gaskett failure would show oil in radiator and water (milky) oil in sump. worn valves usually show from blue smoke at exhaust.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Query:

When doing the compression test, id you (1) have good strong battery and (2) have the throttle WFO?

Even your high number seems more than a bit on the low side. (closer to 200 would be more like it)

I concur with CT1 regarding the issue most likely being rings.

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Query #2.

Are the valve clearances in spec? Invalid compression test readings can result if they're out of spec.

Some smoke/blowby gases are normal from the cam cover. Is there any smoke from the tailpipe?

Oh. Welcome to the BB!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the quick replies and the welcome. I found myself coming here every night after work learning new stuff about my new car and thanks to you guys, I was able to get a 12 year old driveway statue back to life....

I had the engine warmed up with a new battery and accelerator held down by a friend while he cranked the motor. I went and talked to a guy who used to work at the local alfa dealership and now owns his own shop, he suggested the same thing you guys have...piston rings.

He said to take out the plugs and soak the cylinders with some penetrating oil for two or three days and that if that did free them up it wasn't just a temporary measure??...I wonder if that will work...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts