Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my steering wheel off and rebuilt the turn signal and light indicator this weekend. If anybody is thinking of doing it I have to tell you it was the easiest job I have done on this car.

But now my questions. The steering wheel had a short wire on it for the horn designed to connect to a wire in the center of the steering column. That wire is nowhere to be found. Where does it come out on the other end. I searched all of the column both in the passenger cabin and in the engine bay ans couldn't find a spot where it would exit the steering column.

Question 2. attached is a picture of a relay next to the firewall on the interior of the driver's side fender. In looking at the wiring schematic it appears this may be the horn relay. Is this correct? The one I'm talking about has the bright blue connector on the red wire

Ventura Alfa

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
It a black wire that comes out from the front of the steering box.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
horn relay should have a black, a red and a violet wire
black goes to horn button (enters the front of the steering box and goes up inside the shaft, as Ed says)
red goes to fuse #1
violet goes to horns.

I can see 2 reds and a violet, so yes, probably the horn relay and someone just replaced the black and only had some red!....likely the 'cleaner' red wire, the one with the non original blue crimp
(PO s like to do things like this to confuse the next owner...;))

if you do see a wire coming out the end of the steering box, you can try fish it out from the top....it's likely slipped down the shaft....but then again your horn would beep everytime it grounded...

·
9,936 Posts
The steering wheel had a short wire on it for the horn designed to connect to a wire in the center of the steering column. That wire is nowhere to be found. Where does it come out on the other end. I searched all of the column both in the passenger cabin and in the engine bay ans couldn't find a spot where it would exit the steering column.
Clearly a PO has modified your horn wiring - I can't imagine why, but PO's do things like that.

As spiderserie4 suggested, the wire could have slipped down into the column. But if you don't see a wire coming out of the bottom end of the steering box, then the wire could be missing entirely. Replacing it shouldn't be too hard - it follows a straight path through the hollow steering shaft down through the box and out the front.

Where does that red wire on the relay go? Clearly that was added by the PO; might it connect to a pushbutton accessible somewhere on the dash? Maybe the little nylon insulators on the steering wheel crumbled from age, causing the horn to sound, so the PO (applying "PO logic") ripped out the original wiring and substituted a pushbutton.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
horn

Mine was missing as is yours. I used a #14 THHN solid, electrical construction wire to fish upward from the small hole in front of steering box to the horn button.
Not for permanent use, just for fishing, rigidity helps.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Horn wire

Thank you all for your replies.

There is no wire coming out of the end of the box. I suspect that red wire is the one that should run up the steering shaft. It does not go anywhere right now (just coiled up next to the relay) and is missing a connection on the other end. Length is about right to go up the steering shaft to the steering wheel. There was a connector with no wire on the other end of the short wire on my steering wheel.

I think the mystery has been solved.

Kudos to all of you for your help. It is really appreciated.

Ventura ALfa

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Thank you all for your replies.

There is no wire coming out of the end of the box. I suspect that red wire is the one that should run up the steering shaft. It does not go anywhere right now (just coiled up next to the relay) and is missing a connection on the other end. Length is about right to go up the steering shaft to the steering wheel. There was a connector with no wire on the other end of the short wire on my steering wheel.

I think the mystery has been solved.

Kudos to all of you for your help. It is really appreciated.

Ventura ALfa
maybe replace that red wire with a black wire?....you know, sort of put it back right for the next owner...;)
easy to do now...

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
one thing to keep in mind,, when you re;run that existing "red" wire up the steering shaft, is it long enough to reach the horn button connection??
I found the reason mine wasn't connected was because it had frayed & broke, causing the length to be lacking.
May I suggest, Just run a new wire.:smile2:

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
I suspect that red wire is the one that should run up the steering shaft. It does not go anywhere right now (just coiled up next to the relay)

easy to check, just touch it to ground and the horns should work

1 - 9 of 9 Posts