Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1977 Alfa spider that has been sitting for 15 years. I removed the gas tank and replaced rubber fuel line sections and filled with fresh gas. Installed new battery changed the oil and tried to start. The vehicle did not start. I then checked the obvious. Found the vehicle has no spark. Using a spark tester I found no spark coming out of the coil or from the distributor. I then removed the distributor and found all of the points were touching and not opening properly. I decided to convert it over to petronix electronic ignition system. I installed the distributor with the new ignition and attempted to start. Still no start. Check spark again and still found nothing. Checked power to the coil. Verified battery voltage with the key on. Checked the ground side with a test light to verify ground and ignition pulse. Test light pulsed but very faintly. Looking for any type of help at this point. I really would like to get ahold of a wiring diagram for the ignition system. Help!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. And sorry, Its not my vehicle I was just hoping to get it running for a friend so Im new to the "Alfa" world.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
+ side of the coil should have 12V any time the key is on. Sounds like that might be the key issue.

Andrew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it has an inertia switch. I actually bypassed that to get the electric pump to turn on. But I don't believe that would cause no spark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts