Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while driving today (this happened twice), while downshifting, the engine started to make this weird sound as i accelerated almost like it was having trouble accelerating. The car wasn’t accelerating at its normal speed so i tried to give it gas and still averaging slower and the engine sounded groggy even when upshifting. I put it in neutral and instead of the usual 1000 RPM idle it had a hard idle at 500 RPM barely able to keep itself on. I revved the engine and some of my Weber carburetors popped and the exhaust also popped at the end. No idea why this happened twice but it was a scare the first time it happened. Any idea what it could be due to?

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
137 Posts
Check your timing. Exhaust pops can be a timing or a fueling issue. Also what do you mean your carbs. popped?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your timing. Exhaust pops can be a timing or a fueling issue. Also what do you mean your carbs. popped?
I heard a pop from the engine area i suspected it was the carbs. I guess you can say it backfired? It felt like there was air in the system (i’m no mechanic so correct me if i’m wrong). All i know is the engine sounded groggy and was laggy and when in neutral the carbs backfired and the exhaust popped.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
137 Posts
I would take it to a shop. There is a list on the forums of good shops to go to. Alfas can be hard to work on so it's importent to fi d someone that knows alfas or at least classic cars. Did you have any worksknt recently. Sounds like a timing issue but with a timing chain I dont know how you you could hop teeth.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Could be clogged fuel filter, or air leaks at the flexible carb mounts.

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
If it happened suddenly then I would suspect something in the ignition. If you have a points distributor then they are suspect #1. Then the distributor clamp could be a bit loose allowing it to turn a little. If neither of these then swap out the rotor, cap and spark plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts