Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aloha,
My father is off island getting cancer treatment and I thought I would try and get his old spider running that's been sitting in his garage for 12 years.
Fuel pump does not work with ignition, but does run when wired directly to the battery. I have replaced fuel lines and filters, cleaned out fuel tank. The engine runs in that mode, but seems to be too much gas getting to the injectors. the engine runs very rough, but runs much smoother if I slightly crack open an injector line while running.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've got 2 weeks to make this happen.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check the inertia switch, this is mounted on the firewall on the passenger side in the engine bay. This is designed to shut off the fuel pump in a accident, if the button on top of it is popped up the fuel pump is off, push the button down and the pump should start back up. Check all fuses and electrical terminals, these are prone to corrosion. I find taking a dremel with a small wire wheel on it to the fuse terminals and replacing all the fuses will salve a lot of problems.

As for the injection pump it sounds like after sitting that long the pump is gummed up causing an over rich fuel mixture. This can be caused by things such as the thermostatic actuator is bad, cold start solenoid is stuck, or the rack gear that rotates the plungers inside the pump is gummed up.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
This thread is in the wrong forum. It should be moved to the Fuel Injection topic area for best exposure. I notified the moderator.

Good on ya for cleaning out the fuel system first. Check:

Inop fuel supply pump:
Check the fuse in the main fuse block. It's the one in the little separate 2-fuse block to the right of the main one. Check to make sure the fuel supply pump ground is good. Check the inertia switch. Bypass temporarily if bad.

Overrich mixture. Could be:
1. Sticking Cold Start Solenoid (hyd piston sticking in the bore)
2. Bad thermostatic actuator.
3. System grossly out of tune.

If you want some Spica tech material, send me a private message using the BB system here and I'll send you a bunch of Spica manuals and guides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your advice, I finally got the old girl running yesterday. The timing was off 180 degrees. She ran very rough until I disconnected the CSS and then she ran great. Is the CSS supposed to stay on all the time? Should I just leave it disconnected or maybe put a switch on it as I had read in other posts?

As far as the fuel pump issue, I have power all the way through the inertia switch, just none at the pump even after cleaning the terminals, does the power to the pump run directly from the inertia switch to the pump and if so, I assume then it's just a bad wire. To get the car running, I just ran a separate wire from the inertia switch to the pump. Also, the low fuel pressure light does not come on at all and all fuses are good so I am at a loss to this problem other than a possible burned out bulb, any advice would be appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts