Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, new to the forum here..
i have one main question about my alfette gtv, what is a good price to set it at for sale?

it has 20k original miles, exterior is in in mint condition as is the interior (all leather interior, maybe vinyl..) engine compartment is as clean as the outside. no driveability issues that i am aware of. and i am under the impression that everything on the car is original...

it is red outside and black inside..
i have been searching for comparables but am having a really tought time finding any... i am assuming that either these cars were just not that popular compared to other classic alfas, or nobody likes to get rid of them.. any help on my issue would be greatly appreciated.

i can email pics if it helps anyone, but just think of what the car looked like brand new, and thats what it looks like...

thanks - mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as soon as i can get the car out of the garage i will take some nice pictures.. i have some that you can't tell the outside looks like it does.. but the inside u can.. i need to jump it and wash it.. get back with pictures..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Do Us All A Favor......

Ask $18,000 and see what happens - next price point, try $13,000 - its time to set the stage for these rare cars, especially in perfect original condition, to appreciate!

Enlightened self interest - don't you know.

8oclock

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bad news... either the deer mice brought about 3 pounds of bird seed into the car or someone spilled bird seed under the back seat and no i have mice in this beautiful car:( soi alas, i have more work to do to get it cleaned up.. this is very troublesome, because i had the idea that this car was in pristine condition, and aftrer all it does have some issues:/... i will have to do more inspections on this car before i can sya more on it.. sorry guys.. i'll get back afet i can tell exactly whats wrong and get those pics after i clean the inside out... wierd though, the mice didn't eat any of the seat foam? figured that would have been the first thing to go... but oh well lucky me right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here are some pics, sorry i didnt' bother washing it because of the mice.. wanted to kill and remove them before i do anything else..
i found all of the original paperwork for the car in the trunk.. so i guess it has some "ad ons" cause the owner manual says alfetta gt 2000 1976.. so anyone that could give me an idea of value or where to start the appraisal process let me know please.
thanks mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great looking survivor. Does it run well? How long has it been stored? Also, where is it located? I might be interested, please post or PM further details.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
wow, nice time capsule. 20,000 miles and it looks like it.

unfortunately, time will still cause issues

If it runs and no major accident damage and seats not all chewed out by mice and no major rust(wheel wells, around tail lights, etc..), and shifts well , and gauges and electrical work....worth around 6-7 g's. 76 is a tough year because of some different parts which are hard to get...

have the end of the VIN...late late 76??

any big fluid puddles underneath?

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
As the proud owner of six Alfetta coupes it's great to see that there are Alfettas in this kind of cosmetic condition..By way of comparison, a Philadelphia area Alfisti has several low mileage Alfas for sale... one is a white 76 Alfetta coupe in low mileage pristine condition that I think he has for sale for around $15,000.
The value of this Alfetta depends to a great extent on the length and manner of its storage. Any interested buyer(including me!) will want to know:
1 how long has the car been in storage?
2. has the engine been started or at least turned over on a regular basis?
3. if not, was the engine "pickled"(oil poured down the spark plug holes) when stored?
4. has the car been driven on a regular basis? (if not there's a very high probability that all of the hydraulics[brake MC,clutch MC & slave,brake calipers & hoses] will need to be rebuilt)
5.was the gas tank drained?(if not,and the car has not been started/driven, the gas tank,fuel filters and lines and possibly the fuel injection pump may need to be cleaned/replaced)
If the car has not been started/driven the tires may be square and may need replacement and the radiator may need to be looked at. All of these factors critically impact the present value. In the photos the car looks terrific but if it has sat still...and hasn't been started for more than a year, to me the present value diminishes by 33-50%

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
suprisingly enough, the owner, a family friend, is coming to town today. i will probe for answers to all of your questions and some of my own. i will try to get back to y'all soon. hopefully in a couple days, because i'm not sure of his schedule while he's here.
thanx again, mike.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
that white Philly Alfetta is mint top to bottom(I have pics of it somewhere) and 15g's would be nice to see at a sale.

history of the car is always nice to have...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so, i am glad to report that the alfa has a good history, it was bought and held from a man in colorado, so this is now on it's second owner. the mice only nested under the rear seat, and did almost no damage, they did chew up a vvery small amount of the sound deadner under the seats but not to the point where they are ruined.. i got to drive it around yesterday and it feels more lively each time i drive it.. man it is awesome to get looks from everyone, and it sounds soo nice i didn't even turn on the radio! im going to have to say that the only thing that needs some tlc is going to be the paint, could use a nice detail. maybe a clay bar? or a buff and wax? at this point i'm not sure what would be best, i'm not a real classic car guy, so any advice on paint care anyone?

i will post some nice pics after it's really clean and for sale.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
me? I wouldn't touch the paint yet and see what kind of interest you get @ whatever price you set. I'm odd but my reasoning is that who ever shows serious interest in this car will be somewhat AR as am I and not want anything done to it so as to have the fresh strting point. Just my 2 cents. Ciao

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanx for the input! i appreciate it. i was just at the cars and coffee meet up the road from my house, it's a pretty wild setup. they have garages that are bought and used by enthusiests of all kinds. mostly the expensive kind, and they said i wasn't allowed to park the alfa in the meet cause i hadn't washed it yet... frustrating but i guess i understand, they didn't want the "rif raf" messing up the nice views... so alas i think i may clean her up for next month as i believe that is the place where i will trey to sell it first..

i did find one thing off on the records of the car. when it was brought here from colorado, the shop that worked on it put 5w30 oil in it.. and it is supposed to have 10w50... so i looked around for 10w50 and couldn 't find any... what should i put in instead? i can tell the oiil pressure is not where it should be, and i can only guess that the oil wieght is the culpret.

·
Registered
40 Posts
...i did find one thing off on the records of the car. when it was brought here from colorado, the shop that worked on it put 5w30 oil in it.. and it is supposed to have 10w50... so i looked around for 10w50 and couldn 't find any... what should i put in instead? i can tell the oiil pressure is not where it should be, and i can only guess that the oil wieght is the culpret.[/QUOTE]

I use 20-50 in my '76 GT. Of course, it has100k more than this "youngster". DO NOT ALWAYS believe the oil pressure gauge. Like gas gauges, they are more for comparison (comparing where they've been to where they are when last looked at). 5w30 sounds way too thin at the best of times. As we approach the warmer time of year, I don't think 20w50 would be a bad choice, and you should have reasonable selection of good lubricant in that weight.

ps - if there any doubts about the oil, changing it may not bad idea, and not too expensive, either.

my tuppence, worth everything that you paid for it.
JayN

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
The owner´s manual of my car states that it should use 10W-50 (which seems to be available in Italy) or 15W-40 as an alternative. Down here in Peru you don´t find 10W-50 so I used 20W-50 without trouble, switched to 15W-40 and found better oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
76 Alfetta Gt

Its more likely the odometer has probably gone around once (119,xxx mi) but it definitely looks great. I would love to think you could get $10000 if all is functioning properly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts