Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its suppose to be 101 Fahrenheit here on Sunday, what am I going to do?
Crawling under the car and fixing dripping fuel line, tear out the back seat too-got parts
from Vick's already-fast, Centerline stuff inbound-any advice? Short cuts? Thanks-Mark

·
Registered
390 Posts
What all are you doing? I might be able to assist, I did all this not too long ago when I switched to an inline pump on mine.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I recently did this on my Alfetta GT. I replaced all soft fuel lines, both filters and new CL pump. Here is what I wrote up. Of course I wrote this while still suffering from fuel fume fever so the accuracy is questionable. Good luck:
And yes it is HOT down here in Chatsworth. 4:45pm, 99 deg in the back yard shade. The west facing wood garage door runs about 145deg this time of day!!
Alfetta GT Fuel pump and filter change

15” - 1/2” id fuel line 27” - 3/8” id fuel line
36” - 5/16” id fuel line 1 ea - 1/2” metal barbed elbow
2 ea - 1/2 - 3/8” metal barbed connector 1 ea - WIX 1/2” fuel filter #33299
1 ea - front SPICA fuel filter 1ea - fuel pump, Centerline
A zillion small hose clamps, maybe 20 ea
All fuel lines and weird connectors are from DMP Fasteners, Chatsworth CA. No relation, just a GREAT local shop run by a great guy. An excellent source for weird fasteners. Also has fuel lines for your alcohol dragster.

With as little fuel in the tank as you can manage use the existing pump to drain the rest of the fuel into a container. With the red low fuel light on this should be no more than 2-4 gallons. I got about 3 gallons. Use your new 36” piece of 5/16” fuel line fastened to the hard line that leads to the front fuel filter to pump it into a container. OMG, if your old pump does not work you are gonna have to use gravity, a big drain pan, something to clamp off a fuel line while you empty the full pan and a lot of towels. Good luck.

As you then disconnect the fuel pump and all lines back to the fuel tank expect another few ounces of fuel to drip/pour out into your face and/or down your arm.

“Things that make you scratch your head”: The fuel tank is 1/2” outlet; the new fuel pump is 1/2” inlet; BUT there is a 23”x 3/8” id piece of hose that goes across the top of the transaxle. Why NOT 1/2” ?? ‘cause the 3/8” just fits under 2 metal supports and the old pump had a 3/8” inlet. I could not get a 1/2” hose to push thru the supports. So I have 2 reducing metal connectors to change from 1/2” to 3/8” then back to 1/2” before the new pump. Go figure.

Oh, also the OEM filter that is NLA, now turns into a BFD, I think it had a 1/2” inlet and a 90 deg 3/8” outlet. So I added a 1/2” elbow after the new rear fuel filter to accomplish the same thing.

The replacement 3/8” piece can be pushed back under the supports with a little twisting and pushing. There should be a metal 3/8” x about 15” elbow that fits around the sway bar on the passenger side.

Now the new pump. It has a smaller OD so it needs some padding to fit into the old fixture. Also it now has inlet 1/2”on one end and 5/16”outlet at the other. The old pump had everything at one end so the existing metal hard line up to the front filter now extends past the pump. I bent this metal line to sort of align with the new pump and then cut it shorter to where a short piece of 5/16” line will fit. The old pump had a unique plug so cut it off and add a little new wire and the new connectors. There is a + and - post, I put some red paint on the red post so I would not get mixed up while lying on my back attaching the new wires.

Changing the front filter is no big deal. Unbolt it from the fender and carefully carry it over to a drip pan where you tilt the filter so that almost all the fuel drains out. A long screw needing a 11mm wrench holds the plastic bottom to the metal fixture. Pull out the old filter and notice where all the gaskets and O rings go. I had to use a pick to pry out the large gaskets. Replace everything and screw it back together.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thank you for the article. I'm about to attempt this job in a week so this will be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Note on modifying the "out" hard line: It runs straight down the pump to the rear. The new pump "out" is center, front. So the hardline needs an 'S' bend put in it so that it aligns with the pump center. CAREFULLY and slowly make this 'S' bend (don't want to kink it) then cut some off so that a few inches of space are left for the new short flex hose. I cut mine with a tube cutter, you know 2 rollers opposite a cutter wheel that is tightened as you rotate the thing making the cut. And bring some steel wool with you so you can shine up the hard lines to make them pretty.
Oh, it is 107 deg in the shade this afternoon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here in the S.F. Bay Area we have been dealing with 100 degree plus temperatures. I replaced all fuel line into the Spica. My 76 GT is still running the original Bosch fuel pump.....working perfect..running strong.... Will replace when it when failure appears.....

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
My original pump had intermittent issues as sometimes it would not start pumping when the ignition was on. I found I just had to pound my fist on the rear floor and it would start running (Lucas pump ??) It cracked my mechanic up when it did this at his shop once. As this problem was becoming more "inter" and less "mittent" it was time to replace it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts