Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Alfa Fans -
My wife and I have been talking about doing some extensive traveling in Europe and maybe even buying a place in Italy, which means that we won't be home in New Jersey that often. I would hate to see my beautiful Alfa Romeo Spider just sit in the garage unused, so I am considering selling it. This is the last of the stainless bumpers (1975) and it is cosmetically and mechanically in excellent condition. Zero rust with beautiful paint (no ugly side marker lights!), starts up and drives like new. Too many new parts to list. Smooth strong idle...just turn the key and go. Steering is perfect. Brakes stop on a dime. Transmission is butter smooth (no crunching at all). Canvas Top is beautiful with a zip-down rear window (very rare). Beautifully stitched new dash and supple leather seats. Stainless steel wipers. Fully serviced by Alfa Imports in Port Washington Long Island. Asking price is $20,000 (negotiable). Not cheap, but you will have one of the very best spiders in the world. I would like to see it go to a good home, so I am posting it here first, however I will be putting it on BAT if nobody from here makes me an offer. And if doesn't sell, I don't mind keeping it either. It is the most beautiful car I have ever owned!
Call/text 201 388-3172 ask for Michael.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering part

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Hood Auto part Gas

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Car Vehicle Speedometer Automotive design Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Grille

·
Registered
919 Posts
Nice car. I thought 74 was the last year for stainless steel bumpers?

Do the previous owner do the bumper conversion?

Any rebuild to engine or transmission?

Good luck with the sale.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This car is a very late 1974, so it was titled as a 1975. No bumper conversion. I was told by the previous owner the engine and transmission was rebuilt by his shop (he owned a mechanic shop). It drives like new.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This beauty totally needs to come over to Europe with you! You can also sell it for more in Italy. Good luck, sounds like a great plan!
That is also something, I am considering. I am looking into that option as well. Italy is my favorite place in the world ...truly Alfa country!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You might consider marketing it as the actual model year which you have noted is 1974. Since 74 is the last year for the non federalized bumpers, most potential buyers will assume it's a 75 which is less desirable than your 74. It's a beautiful example.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Read post
You might consider marketing it as the actual model year which you have noted is 1974. Since 74 is the last year for the non federalized bumpers, most potential buyers will assume it's a 75 which is less desirable than your 74. It's a beautiful example.
Read post #4 Alfa did that back then...

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Now that is one lovely Spider alright... hats off to you! Right down to the polished cam cover. Worth every dollar you ask IMO.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doesn’t matter when it was titled. It’s a ‘74.
But it does matter to the DMV when it was titled, it also matters to the insurance company who insures it, it also matters to the Emissions agency who inspects it and finally it matters to the buyer who is interested in buying it. The year it was "built" is not what they are asking for when doing a transaction, what they want is the year it was titled.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
But it does matter to the DMV when it was titled, it also matters to the insurance company who insures it, it also matters to the Emissions agency who inspects it and finally it matters to the buyer who is interested in buying it. The year it was "built" is not what they are asking for when doing a transaction, what they want is the year it was titled.
I think you are missing the point. The model year is a 1974. If you search the VIN, it’s a 1974. A 1974 is worth somewhat more than a 1975. It’s only a 1975 to the DMV. What is written on the title doesn’t change what the car is. What if they had waited to title it for 10 years? Would you say it is a 1984 Alfa?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
What Erik is saying, its a 74 all day long as per Alfa Romeo archives and actual build date. Yes, its a 75 for the Authority Having Jurisdiction, DMV, etc.
This does matter to the buyer, and as RPHIL40342 says, and I agree, you would be a wise man to list it as a 74 on BaT, if you end up going that route. It could have been tilted as a 76 for that matter, would you list it as a 76, known as a rubber bumper model in NA? "1974" will gain more world wide appeal.

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Richard Jemison
8,577 Posts
It`s only a 1975 on the title. I suggest you label it a 1974 titled as a 1975.
A 74 has much higher value than a 75, as it`s a beautiful car, not a "Push boat" looking overweight version.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It`s only a 1975 on the title. I suggest you label it a 1974 titled as a 1975.
A 74 has much higher value than a 75, as it`s a beautiful car, not a "Push boat" looking overweight version.
All points are valid and understood. However, BaT requires a copy of the title and they want everything to match up before they approve a listing. Not sure they will take kind to me listing it as a 74, and showing a title as a 75. But if nobody from here buys it, then it will go to BaT and I will find out how they want it listed.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would expect that they will allow you to list it as the actual model year and in the description state that it is titled in the year it was sold. This is extremely common in the automotive community.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I would expect that they will allow you to list it as the actual model year and in the description state that it is titled in the year it was sold. This is extremely common in the automotive community.
Yes, as per this write up I found on BaT.....
"This 1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Spider was acquired by the current owner out of New York in 1999 and was subsequently moved to North Carolina. The car is finished in red over black upholstery, and power comes from a twin-cam 1.6L inline-four paired with a five-speed manual transmission. Features include a Weber carburetor, four-wheel three-shoe drum brakes, and fender-mounted mirrors. The car is said to run and drive, although rust repair is recommended by the seller along with engine, suspension, and upholstery work. This 101-series Spider is now offered by the seller on behalf of the current owner with a soft top frame, spare parts, service records, literature, and a clean North Carolina title in the owner’s name that lists the car as a 1964 model."

·
Registered
493 Posts
This thread is interesting because of the "year controversy." In California (and I thought it was entire USA) there was no such thing as "1975 spider" Rather than conform to the the newer bumper and smog restrictions, Alfa chose to continue selling "74 spiders." I bought my first, brand new spider in mid-1975 from Peter Satori in Pasadena. 8 miles on the odometer. It was sold and titled as a "1974 Alfa Spider."
It was shortly after that the feds caught on and the importing stopped. The entire of inventory of '74 spiders sold out in California in 4 days!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
There were definitely rubber-bumper 1975 Spiders in the rest of the US.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts