Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago we bought from Japan a charming, late production GTA Junior with chassis No. AR*776131* This one was built on July 18th, 1975 and It turned out to be the very last example sold new having been purchased on December 2nd, 1975 by S.C.A.R. S.p.A., in Florence, Italy.

The last of the GTA Junior Stradales are still a bit of a mystery to me and now we have purchased another one. This one is AR*776139* and Alfa's records confirm that it was completed and ready for delivery to the first owner on July 28th, 1975. The former owner had it displayed with a placard that identifies it as the very last GTA Junior completed. Build number 193 of the 193 completed.

I have however found the following chassis six numbers that are later than the one we have bought. They are as follows:

AR*776153*
AR*776159*
AR*776160*
AR*776162*
AR*776166*
AR*776167*

It appears however that several of these were completed much earlier and have ownership and race histories dating form 1971/72.

It would appear as such that the GTA Juniors were not built in sequence of their chassis numbers.

Does anyone have a way to explain what was going with the last ten or so GTA Juniors built or have further details on them?

Does anyone have a chassis number/ engine number range for the first GTA Juniors built in 1968 and the last completed in 1975?

I understand that the last 25 or so examples completed were not built directly by Alfa but hand assembled by a specialized team on an order by order basis. Anyone have additional details on this that they can share?

Many kind thanks,

Bill Noon

Symbolic International
Symbolic Motor Car Company
7440 La Jolla Blvd.
La Jolla, California 92037 USA

Phone 619 840 7811
Email [email protected]
Website Symbolic International Photo Gallery - Currently Available

·
Registered
323 Posts
You might find a very complete list of the GTAJs that were built in Maurizio Tabucchi's publications.
Alfa Romeo built more than 300 GTAJ in '68, from chassis number AR775001 to AR776090 to pretend more than 1000 cars being built within 12 months to run Group 2 racing in '69. The engines were not fitted in a row and their numbers not noticed by Alfa Romeo. AR776131 and AR776139 were built in '75, but not the other cars that you had listed. We cannot say “this was the last car ever produced/sold” before we know the dates of the other cars. As far as I know from previous research Alfa Romeo not even noticed the date of invoice for AR776139

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many kind thanks Martinue for your assistance. I have a copy of the book but it is in storage... I will try and retrieve it over the weekend. AR*776139* was invoiced new in Italy on Monday, December 1st, 1975. The only other information I have at the moment is that at the time of the sale, the car was painted Alfa Red and it had a black vinyl TEX interior.

Can you explain why Alfa was hand assembling a few of these Stadales so late, ten years after the first GTA 1600s were built? It appears that approximately 10 were completed in 1975 before the program ended.

Who actually built these late Stradale's for Alfa and where were they assembled?

I would like to learn more about what was going on with these vehicles if possible.

My thanks again,

Bill Noon

Symbolic International
7440 La Jolla Blvd.

Phone 619 840 7811
Email [email protected]

·
Registered
323 Posts
The GTAs were built in '65 and a few in '66. After Alfa Romeo won the '66 European Touring Car Challenge and the U.S. TransAm series in their class, it seems there was a new request on the cars, so in '67 Alfa Romeo built more cars than in the year before.
Most of the GTAJs and a few 2nd series GTAs were built in '68/69. From '70-75 only 10-20 GTAJs a year. It seems that their bodies were just completed after a few new orders came in.
All of the cars were delivered as Stradales until the new owner had sent it to Autodelta or others for preparation.
We found about 20 GTAJ that had the production date noticed, but not the date of invoice nor the first owner, AR776139 was one of them.
I have never heard of GTAJs that were not completed by Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hand assembled?

I understand that the last 25 or so examples completed were not built directly by Alfa but hand assembled by a specialized team on an order by order basis. Anyone have additional details on this that they can share?
Hello Bill,

I have seen pictures of Giulia Sprint GTA's being built on the production line of and in between the Giulia Sprint GT's and GT Veloces.

I would suggest that the same goes for the GTA 1300 Juniors. I do not have proof though. The pictures I have do not have the quality to publish them here but do show the typical doorhandles of GTA's in and between the Sprint GT's.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both kindly... it must have been archaic to see one of these late GTA's with their "pop-rivetted bodies along side pristine production cars. The one I had a few years ago was a genuine survivor but it was "lumpy" as heck and so clearly hand assembled. I am fairly excited about seeing our new one after it arrives so I can compare them.

They were built just a week or so apart from each other and both ended up being sold the same month in December of 75. At this time, we still do not know who the original owner was, only the date sold. I am getting the Japanese registration records shortly so we will see when the car was imported and from where.

I will share more details when I have them as well as photos after this one gets to our agent in Tokyo.

Ciao,

Bill

Symbolic International
7440 La Jolla Blvd.

Phone 619 840 7811
Email [email protected]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The photos we have are from the seller... Car still has not arrived at our agents office in Tokyo... won't be there until this weekend. I will post our photos after arrival for those interested. Car is now sold but shipping is going to be a problem as the West Coast ports are all on a shut down. We have another car at our agent's office and both will go in the same container, probably to Houston.

Cheers,

Bill Noon

Symbolic International
7440 La Jolla Blvd.

Phone 619 840 7811
Email [email protected]

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Higher VIN than AR*776139*

AR*776151* has been sold at the Padua Classic Show some months ago after being in one consistant ownership of about 25 years in Germany.

A higher VIN than *151* is still stored in Europe today; I´ve seen that car in the first half of 2014.

·
Registered
393 Posts

AR*776151* has been sold at the Padua Classic Show some months ago after being in one consistant ownership of about 25 years in Germany.

A higher VIN than *151* is still stored in Europe today; I´ve seen that car in the first half of 2014.
But the AR 776139 is still offered for sale here in Germany.
And a higher VIN does not mean a younger GTA.

Headline should be 776139!!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Servus Ralph,

I did not mention that a higher VIN must be "younger". I just stated that there are still higher VIN´s than *139*. In reality and as origin cars and not "recreations" published as "origin".

·
Registered
162 Posts

Hello,

all those Alfa Romeo production date ánd VIN`s realy come with no sign of any consistency you could bet on.

I owned/own several 1300 GTA`s and the "late" ones are:

776 059 - produced 11/1968 - delivered 04/1970 to Alfa Frankfurt

776 134 - produced 01/1974 - first registration 10/1976 in Germany

776 159 - produced 01/1974 - first registration 05/1977 in Germany

776 162 - produced 02/1973 - first registration 05/1973 in Germany

From my early cars 775 310 is funny.
Very early 1300 GTA you think, but:

produced 12/1972 -delivered 02/1973 to Alfa Frankfurt - first registration 01/1975 in Germany

So, realy no structure.

Hunttheshunt, do you have Pictures of 776 151 and maybe production date? For how much was it traded?

Picture is 776 159. GTA-SA Tribute car, will get original 8 x 14 Campys when finished. Hopefully soon. Dieter, you see, i need the engine soon!:)

Cheers

Christian

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1975 GTA Junior Stradale AR*776139*

Hi everyone! Our new GTA finally made to our agent's office in Tokyo. I received current inspection photos this morning and will attach a few here. All of them have now been posted to our web site. Here is a link:

Symbolic International Photo Gallery - Currently Available

Our agent reports the car to be quite nice and far more tidy and clean than the last one. I am hoping the new owner is pleased. We also just got word from our agent that the port strike here on the West Coast is over and ships are moving and unloading again. I am hoping to have this one in our shop in a few weeks so we can attend to the missing bumpers, spare wheel, air filter assembly and other issues to set this one back in a more proper "stradale" order.

By the way, I have no idea who is offering the car in Germany... Hope someone does not fall for such a scam. I had the same problem recently with someone offering my 904 for sale.

Cheers,

Bill Noon

Symbolic International
7440 La Jolla Blvd.

Phone 619 840 7811
Email [email protected]

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts