Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For Sale: Spiders have invaded the garage and it's time to find a new home for my Silver 74 Spider! Stunning example that is bone stock. I have more Alfa's than garage space and reality has set in that I need to sell some cars. I have several projects that need to go as well.

This Spider had been owned primarily by an older couple that rarely used it. It spent most of it's time in the garage covered up. The owner had retired from Ford Motor Company and it was at that time that I had a chance to buy the Alfa. I knew the owner casually and always admired the color and condition. I always thought Silver was the best color for a Spider or Duetto.

Recent work includes: Headgasket, water pump & radiator redone. New trans mount, new Thermostatic Actuator with recent Spica tuneup. New complete exhaust plus other misc. work. Extremely nice body and underside is equally as clean. Mileage is 87K. Weak 2nd gear syncro. Fresh fluids and tuneup. Would really like to find an Alfisti that can actually drive and enjoy this beautiful Spider and give it a good home. Please PM if you are interested. Asking 14K

Attachments

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
This is a realistic price and will set the S2 sellers on their ear thinking their cars are worth over 20000. I searched for one like this last summer and running into walls at the 20 -$23000 level before going for a BaT car for 8000. They are not 911's ( plummeting) and have gone over the moon in values . There are many more in the pipeline than can meet demand and demand isn't going to skyrocket over night. Great car and no fear of a downside but no 30000 car if you are looking on the other side of the curve.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unlike this car, most 45 year old cars will need a complete restoration by now, whether they are an Alfa, Triumph, MGB or a more expensive brand. Do the math to completely restore your average `70`s Alfa with a complete mechanical, Body and Paint, and interior restoration and that's where you get the retail value of the car, easily well into the $20K mark for quality retail prices. If an owner can`t get back to a reasonably close figure to this restoration value, why would you do so? Might as well turn them into Chinese rebar now and let the cars disappear and spend your dollars on another car that will bring that type of value, as those similar types of vehicles that can recoup those investment dollars. This car is an excellent value and should not be used as an example of the worth of other or restored cars.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's a nice Spider. $14K seems like a good price for the car. Interior and exterior are very, very nice shape. Just a little too rich for me at this time, or I'd be a buyer.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Free advice....1) If you go the BaT route, they might not allow a reserve but if they do, you will not like it. 2) I kind of think that it deserves what you are asking but it is in MICHIGAN = 20-30% off.. . Cars from KC to Maine and south to the Mason Dixon line never do very well on Bat no matter how few winters they have lived in. I always look for good cars from these areas (and there are plenty) just because they are so much cheaper because everyone else not from there thinks they are Alka Selzer tablets regardless of how clean they look in photos. 3) I'd do a thorough dossier on the car-- condition of running gear, including brakes, tranny,tires (age?) and engine..condition of the SPICA and any service to it..4) any known history and service documentation 5) Emphasize location ( within 300 miles of 60% of the population) and drive ability to get it home 6) Invest in a $250-300 inspection by Dean Russell and when he's done ask him what he thinks it is worth without telling him what you are asking and also ask him for a short one page printed summary of what he found. You are better off spending that on a seller's PPI so make it easy on your lookers. It shows good faith and honesty.

Lastly, the market is in the doldrums. Chase after the lookers in the Wanted forum but you have to have the ammo above to do it.

Good luck. I've got a '73 and it is hands down a fabulous car for very little money. It came from NJ/CT (My purchase price reflects that) and it is not rotting away and never was (Original panel work inside and out) and runs sweetly. and looks as good as yours. Don't get too antsy. We just pulled up our snow stakes. Do all this and relist here..I sold two cars on this site to the first lookers.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
appreciate your input...some good points. I am aware of current market conditions. Most importantly looking for an Afisti to pass the torch to. The Spider was actually from the west coast hence the clean undercarriage and cracked dash. Dean has seen the Alfa and can give any perspective buyer his opinion of the car.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Buyers aren't going to run around chasing after and bothering Dean..He's a businessman. You pay for his services. You have to have what he assesses in your hands.. Just sayin'.. You never said it was a West Coast car.. only some Ford guy owned it around Detroit I assume.. I'll take a seat now and shut up..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice car but the price will scare most. At 14k it won't take much to be upside down in it. Alfas need more respect. I decided against a '76 that was fully sorted and very clean. I got them down to 11k from 14,900 but after factoring in the shipping costs and the NYS sales tax it didn't make sense. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Nice car but the price will scare most. At 14k it won't take much to be upside down in it. Alfas need more respect. I decided against a '76 that was fully sorted and very clean. I got them down to 11k from 14,900 but after factoring in the shipping costs and the NYS sales tax it didn't make sense. Good luck with the sale.
A'76 is not an accurate comp...FWIW....As far as upside down, I know buyers who are upside down on cars they got FREE. I'm upside down on a 2006 Mercedes Benz with 66000 miles after a $3000 tranny bill. It isn't a huge risk to buy cars like this that need some care but any car that is 45 years old will have some downside risk in the short term.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The '76 was in need of nothing. The underneath was clean, giubos replaced new shocks, bushings, everything done with the suspension. Stinger exhaust, Spica sorted, interior beautiful. All that being said, it's still a crap shoot with these vintage cars.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts