Alfa Romeo Forums banner

161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
Indeed TDskip.
If you have any needs, you can come over to play!
Will PM you my info.

So, today was a fun day...
Was surfing CL and spotted some tools...
Little did I know what I was about to find!

Lots and LOTS of old school body stuff...
Sheet metal hammers, Picks, dolly's, spoons, Air tools, from Ingersol Rand, Blue point, Cleako, Hydraulic pullers/rams, and a heap of HD body and chassis stuff... inc pinch weld clamps!

It all will need some TLC, but the price was right!

This is probably half what I got!

Oh, and and the surprise, was another Lenco Panel Spotter in the corner... a little rough, but I will test and see if it works!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)
You're not married are you? :)

Pete
Nope, but 10 years+ deep in this relationship...0:)

My GF gets me... Even gave me the $ for today's "Retail Therapy"!:x

I explained early on, that when I'm in the garage tinkering, she knows where I am...
I could be down the Bar...:grin2:

She also knows, I have a long history of borrowing the $ to buy my toys/needs, getting a deal, selling what I don't need, and paying her back in spades.
When I bought the Hossfeld bender, E-Wheel, and Drill press, I ended up with a bunch of other stuff, which I sold off, and put the $ right back in her hand... AND build her a new gate with the Bender that she loves!
I know which side MY bread is buttered!
PS, she just brought me dinner and a cold one....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Did a little experimentation today...

I wondered if I put a 4t ram in the trunk/boot area on the drivers side and pushed rearward/up if I could effect some change to the damaged area...
Like this...

It had no problem moving the area, but it seemed to be local, and pushed some of the dent out of the rear panel, but as the lower floor joint is rust compromised, it began to "Balloon" the panel, and that was that.

Back to plan A, which is to construct a frame jig and pull the bumper bracket area.

Did chop up a donor panel, and make a patch for the spare wheel well.

Little more trimming needed, but it fits perfect.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Spent some time this weekend analyzing my situation.

Whilst I have the Rotisserie almost ready, I need to "Pull" this rear LH corner first, I think.

With my tool acquisitions last week, I now have the power to do it, I just need the control.

The Alfa is currently sitting on a "Kwik Lift".
This is a manual style ramp, and its pretty beefy, as its the 7000lb rated Truck version, which looks like its NLA.
Note, my rails are deeper I think.
https://www.kwik-lift.com/products/kwik-lift/

Here is a pic of Blue sitting on it years back.

What I have in mind is to bolt some heavy wall square/rectangular tube stock to it, and basically beef it up into a "Chassis/Frame Table".
Once I have it beefed, I can level, square it using a Laser.

From there, I can come up, find some attachment points to Red's Chassis, and hold her down tight/level/square.

Then I can build/attach an upright arm via a pivot, using the 10t hydraulic ram, and attach to the rear corner and pull...

A search of YouTube has multiple examples f what I have in my mind, of which this is one example.
You can see I have 90% of what I need already!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
A few fun "Housekeeping Items".

The body file holder I got was cracked...
Gotta fix that!

After a good cleanup, I managed to TIG weld it...
TiG welding cast aluminum is fun... not!

Its hopefully enough...

Tested the H&S Autoshot 4500 110V stud welder...

Works great!

And, just For Pete/PSK, the Clamps, Hammers, etc, are getting the love and attention they deserve... :)

The Lenco Panelspotter, whilst kinda ugly, looks good to go...
Mine in the background...
Just gonna clean it up, and test...
My first test was a fail, but I found the trigger was bad, so I put my surplus/old one on, but didn't get to test.

If it works, it will be for sale!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Question....

So, it took a hit... the visible bend is over the rear wheelarch, but obviously its more than that.
Can anyone with knowledge/Experience tell me where the best place to hold the car is?
We already established the pinch welds are not "right" for this car.

After looking at the underside extensively, I feel good about the rear axle trailing arm mounts... and I'm eyeing the Upper Y frame thingy mounts... But worried that they are too far back, and may be tweaked on the drivers side?

My emerging plan is to bolt a plate to the underside of the Kwik-Lift about where the trailing arm mount is.
Then come up from there, a set height, making identical 1/2" steel plates that take a bolt or bolts thru the mounting holes, left and right side.
This will establish a "Z" height.
Then do the same up front, maybe to the steering box mounts.

From there, I can level the Kwick-Lift, and, indeed the car "To the World" with a laser. Maybe at that point I can check the upper arm mount, side to side for level and errors and go from there?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
Been a busy boy!

That ratty old Lenco Panels Spotter got a serious makeover...

Scrubbed, derusted, masked, and mixed a custom match Hammered paint...

Looking pretty good now!
My original one is on the left...

Broken rear axle and wheels was rewelded and new caster put on the front..
Guns were cleaned up and tips correctly sharpened, ready for action!

Electrical's were checked, and cleaned, and its ready to test after one issue with the trigger wire is fixed..

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #174 (Edited)
Also, I've moved a few tools that I use less often to my storage unit, to free up garage space, so I can work on the Alfa.
In doing that I had to rejig the storage... and I realized how much Alfa stuff I have from collecting and parting out the 2 cars from years ago.

I guess now I know better what I do and don't need, its time to clear the decks a little...
Forgetting that I have pretty much 2 Spiders worth of surplus parts is just silly.

So, into the back of the car went a 2 liter motor(I think its a '75 Spica), and LSD complete axle... I have another axle(One has green paint, and one red on the pinion) and a 5 speed trans too.

About all I remember doing to it, after I pulled it, was a quick degrease and pull the plugs, put some MMO oil in and rotating it a couple of times.
I assumed, as I had no history, or info, the Motor would be a average, kinda nothing, so I decided to pull the head, and see how it looked from above...

I was very surprised..

First impressions were it was SUPER clean inside...
Chains were tight and new looking. No varnish, old black oil, or aged look. Cams/Followers looked perfect.

I looked in the plug holes, and was surprised by what I thought I saw...

Could it be???

I decided to pull the head, and it fought me hard, but I won..

HOLY CRAP!

A quick wipe with Acetone revealed...

Now, I know these are NOT Motronic 10.0/1 pistons, so I have to assume they are 10.4/1 Borgo??

The bores show no wear and the honing marks are still visible all over.
Obviously this motor was built out.
I think I will need to pull the pan and see how the bottom end looks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Great job your doing with setting up the workshop!, I remember when I was a young lad working in a panel beating shop as a trade assistant when a car came in that had been hit in such a way that the chassis was deformed they would chain the car down on the frame table and use porta power and heat to straighten the car out, I would stand by with a a bucket of water and keep an eye out for a fire, the oxy tip was high volume so it had a big flame for heating things up. Maybe take the gas tank out and any thing that is bracing the back part of the structure and anything that will inhibit the straightening process while you jack it out. My 2 cents worth.
Tim

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Thanks for the input.
The gas tank is empty, and prob been dry for 20 years. The sender has been out of the tank for 5+ too.
I’ve spent a lot of time looking at this pull, and my gut feeling is it probably very, very little.
The rear bumper was bent, not destroyed. I have to assume the impact was only on the left side and the tail pushed down as much as in. I can see a slight bend in the flange above the tail lamp, but that’s localized.
To me, the bend is in the whole rear fender rearward of the wheelarch centerline. For it to happen I also have to assum the trunk floor is tweaked down. As the fuel tank forms a major structural component of the trunk floor, my feeling was to leave it in place and allow the whole assembly to transfer the pull to the reverse pressure to the impact and pull the tail back and up.

I just bought a Hardtop cart, so I plan to get the top off, and get after this in the coming weeks.
Has anyone here used a Laser level to check body alignment?
I’m thinking that’s wise. Level the ramp, level the body and then I can see and check side to side with that and a trammel.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Pic I took of the Gas tank interior last week...
Dry as a bone, and does not smell of anything.

This is a pic of the RH rear corner... Note the support bracket outboard and above the tail lamp..

And this is the LH..

Heat damage to paint is from where I removed the lead on the outer seam.
I think you can see that the RH has moved forward relative to the side panel and I think you can see the single spot weld is stressed.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Thought I would do some bodywork, and begin to learn how to use the 110v stud gun, and dent puller.

This was the area I thought was ripe for testing.
Lower rear left corner, two creases were covered with filler...the lower one is about the same, but rises up to meet the wheelarch.
.Maybe 3 mm/1/16" deep fading out at each end..... I also have to weld up the holes from the moldings that were on there.

marked the deformed areas.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Applying studs to upper crease.

Then lower...

Went at it gently, with the slide hammer, and can see it coming out...
Difficult to see, but my hand tells me its within a mm or so now... more needed today!

161 - 180 of 189 Posts