Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank Hooligan!
I have been quiet for a week or so... major computer crash, and had to spend Alfa money to get it running again....
But the Spider family has acquired a new addition....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok here is an update...
The keySpiders Lair has grown by one.
A red 1975 parts car!

A lot of time was wasted on recovery from my computer crash.

Now I am on the Rotisserie construction.
Here are some pictures.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Update..03-11-07

Been busy with work... but still managed to do a ton of stuff!
Mainly I have been working on the Rottiserie... and some major progress.
The MONSTER lives... almost!
The mainframes, connectors wheels, body Dolly, and body mounts are done, but I still have to weld the mounting for the lift Jacks and also finish welding together the main rotator.
Here she is!
This pic shows nearly all of the parts laid out.
They whole thing went ito my Jeep trunk... but was heavy!
It can be completely disassembled with 1 Allen Wrench, and is made of heavywall 2 1/2" and 2" Trailer hitch steel.
Bolts are 1/2 13 Hex heads.

This is the two main assemblies... the Rottisserie and Body Dolly.
Both are set up small in length and width. But they adjust...

This pic shows the Rottisserie mainframe pulled out to its max width and with easily enough length for the Alfa.
I can add a extention connector borrowed from the Body Dolly if I want to go LONG!
You can see how long it is in comparison to my 20'+ old Suburban.

Here is another pic.

This is the body Dolly Jack Point Connector.
I experimented with a few, and liked this one best.
The part is machined from 2" x 2" Angle and attaches to the Body dolly and the Rotisserie arms as I want or need. The long pin inserts fully into the jack point, and can also be reversed and inserted from the inside pointing out, to allow you to paint the body/Rockers.
After paint I plan to shrink wrap the pin to protect the paint.

Here is the "Torrington Thrust bearings" that the balance arms rods rotate on... (more pics coming to explain how it works).
They are rated to 2300LB each!

At the moment the paint is "Rattle Can" Primered and then satin black, so thats why it looks scratched up.
I will have to see if I feel ok to spend $$$ on powdercoating something that will go to the Blasters/paintshop.... seems like a waste of money to me!
I have welded and machined it all myself... so the welding is functional with maximum penetration as a primary requirement rather than cosmetics!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That looks like an amazing piece of kit! Crikey! The photo makes it look all too easy to simply chuck the Suburban up for a turn on the barbie.

Nice Suburban, by the way.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks Guys!
Bill:
BigBlock Suburbans Rule KO... at the pump at least... and note the tranny fluid AND front seal engine oil leaks!
Jeez!
And refresh my memory on how crap Alfa motors are for oil leaks?? :p
But seriously... you gotta love 7.4L's of lazy torque for hauling dead or near DEAD Alfa's home(Ask AlfaMan about it plus my reversing skilz!:) ) and all the things that REALLY make a difference!
Also, No, I know my limits... a '74 Alfa Spider is... what... 2200 Lb fully dressed? I dont think I would want to risk the 5000Lb+ burby body on my welding!:D :eek:
Shake 'N'Bake baby!

Alfaman:
Yeah... it looks good, but lets see the reality... I will kick my Spider into life and then drop the Rotisserie at your place and make you kick your projects forward too!;)
Next Alfa Spider update coming soon.............

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
More parts restored

I will be posting a few pics over the next days of parts that I have prepped for storage.
Oil pan shield, before...

And after it was stripped, blasted, straightened, and repainted.

I can confirm that the shield is VERY heavy and VERY strong... it took a 10ton press to get it straight enough that I could line up the holes on the car again! I have heard that some people say that it stiffens the front end on spiders, and now I am a believer!

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I can confirm that the shield is VERY heavy and VERY strong... it took a 10ton press to get it straight enough that I could line up the holes on the car again! I have heard that some people say that it stiffens the front end on spiders, and now I am a believer!
Did that really come off that '74 Spider? I have no recollection of any of our spiders having a sump guard. But then I drove the '73 most of the time and Pat drove the '74.

For anyone that wants to know, the spider did take a rear end hit on the 91 Freeway just before the 91/5 split going westbound with Pat and Lee in the car in morning commute traffic. The girl that caused the accident was not insured, Pat was the last car hit or the front car. Pat was able to stop the chain reaction by not hitting the car in front of him. The girl hit the car behind Pat, which then hit the Alfa.

The call to me was very noisy, but went something like this: "Lee and I have been hit, we're both o.k.; the car is driveable; call your grandmother and my work and tell them we're going to be late."

Pat pulled out the damage at home using a puller and hammer for the trunk lid and the back by the tail lights. The bumper was pulled out by driving away from the tree in our front yard with a chain that was wrapped around the bumper and connected to the tree. As I recall, it was an unfinished project that he never got back to, and that we drove as is, with the other cars he was working on and tearing down for the books.

I note that one of the posts indicated that the car had not been driven since 1992 --- as I mentioned one of those projects that he hadn't gotten to, that it was his and Lee's car, and the fact that Lee died in mid-1993, permanently stopped all work on that car; more than Pat was up to with the emotional attachment and memories.

I can hardly wait to see/read the next installment --- part of my life and memories coming back together as the car is restored.

An afterthought, if you have cars or toys you most likely have a Suburban and trailer or something equal. A basic requirement.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Hi Cheryl!
Yes, it did come off the 74... trust me I remember taking it off and that it was a LOT heavier than it looked...
It has taken a few hits and has some pretty deep gouges in it. It was well stuck on its bolts, and when I got under and levered it off....
It fell on my head!

I must have taken this picture after I took it off... see the grass trapped under the front, and you can still see some on the shield too!

Yes, the car took a hit in the rear, and you can see the damage in my first few posts.

Would you believe that I have might have to pull the motor out of the suburban and rebuild it!
The day after I took the Rotis pics the cam chain stripped its gears. Lucky its a non interferance motor, so might get away with a front end and cam rebuild.... but more distractions from the Alfa!
I suppose that might hold me up a bit.... its my workhorse, and I need it!
Thanks for the info Cheryl!

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Hi Cheryl!
Yes, it did come off the 74... trust me I remember taking it off and that it was a LOT heavier than it looked...
It has taken a few hits and has some pretty deep gouges in it. It was well stuck on its bolts, and when I got under and levered it off....
It fell on my head!
I know that Pat did not install the sump guard so it came to us that way. I have the previous owner's name and address in my files, I'll send a you a PM or e-mail with it when I dig it out. We knew him, he ran Fullerton Auto Repair and did all of our smog work on our cars. He has now moved up toward the valley...prices were getting too high here for the space he needed.

As far as the goudges and scrapes, I find it hard to believe those were done by Pat; he was an extremely careful driver; now if I had been driving that car I would say I might have caused them; I've been known to clip curbs, run off of them etc. I destroyed the underside of my MG, sheared the oil pan off when I planted it on a left turn island early one morning when I was young and foolish. But in this case, I'd say they were probably done by the previous owners.

I must have taken this picture after I took it off... see the grass trapped under the front, and you can still see some on the shield too!
Certainly looks like the grass I recognize mowing. ;) Yes, I saw the small strands on the guard, but only because I use magnification software.

Would you believe that I have might have to pull the motor out of the suburban and rebuild it!
The day after I took the Rotis pics the cam chain stripped its gears. Lucky its a non interferance motor, so might get away with a front end and cam rebuild.... but more distractions from the Alfa!
I suppose that might hold me up a bit.... its my workhorse, and I need it!
Thanks for the info Cheryl!
Yes, I can believe you may have to replace the engine in the Suburban, but as you said a necessity when you have toys. Ours was not a Silverado, I can't remember what model it was, had the Chevy bow tie in the front grill, was a 1980, 3/4 ton, 4-wheel drive. We replaced both the transmission and the engine in it while we had it. Having said that, we bought it when the over 6,500 gross limit weight was smog exempted so we drove it w/o smog problems and equipment. The only place we ever got it stuck in 4-wheel drive was on our own property in the mud moving cars. A story in itself getting it out.

I drove the Suburban most of the time and really enjoyed it. It was very convenient for me; I'd hate to think about filling those 40 gallon tanks now at over $3.00/gallon gas prices for regular, which it used, and 10 miles to the gallon.

You're welcome, Stephen, I'll see what else I can remember about the car while we owned it.

Looking forward to the "christening ceremony," but maybe we should think about drinking the champagne instead of ruining your "new" paint job. ;)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Again Cheryl, Thankyou for the info!
Of course between you and me the car was dragged about a little, as it was not running, I have no doubt that it acquired some new scars.
I have personal experience of what these towing guys are like!

There will be no Champagne bottle swinging in the vicinty of this new paint! :eek:
I suggest we retire a safe distance and enjoy the fruits our labor, and bask in our collective memories!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That sump guard looks great. This may seem like a silly question, but are you going to do anything to protect it? :p I was thinking about putting strips of abrasion resistant clear tape on my freshly painted guard to keep it from looking scraped and rusty again.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks Bill!
Nah, as I plan for this car to be used, I am not worried about it...
Cheryl and I both agree, it should be driven, not a trailer queen.
I have already thought deeply about using it on the odd track day.
The guard is there for one reason... a sacraficial lamb, and if it gets scraped I will throw a sheet of newspaper between it and the oilpan and shoot some more paint on it!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had a brand new sump guard sitting on a shelf in my shop for over 20 years now. Never had any bottoming issues driving the Giulia spider but it may find its way onto my Duetto after looking at some pics on this site.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sweet job Keyspider!
I'm looking at getting my first Alfa - a purdy 74!

I had a quick question regarding seatbelts - I also live in CA and was told that the belts in the 74 need to be upgraded to be legal. What was your experience with these? Does yours still have basic lap belts?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Hi Jaybeast,
Yes, both of my 74's have the original lap belts.
As far as I know, they are legal and do not need to be upgraded to be legal in CA. A lap belt is better than no belt.
However.... I am never comfortable when I look at all the areas that my head, face and upper body could strike in a serious impact. Take a good look at the side window quarterlights. I drive with my window down most of the time, and it worries me enough... and that is without looking at the handsome wood and Stainless steel steering wheel with its non-collapsable steering column!:eek:
I plan to upgrade to a shoulder belt, and I think it would be prudent.
Search and ye will find.
I think Bill77 did a conversion.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes, I'm converting mine to shoulder belts. There are several ways to do it -- I decided to duplicate the Series 3 Spider set-up, including the attaching bracketry in the rear of the interior and the belt guides on the tops of the seat backs. Of course, this also means that the interior trim in the rear will have to duplicate the Series 3 style with it's false floor above the driveshaft tunnel. This hides the seat belt retractors and brackets.

There are easier ways to do it. Here's a thread....

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=9138&highlight=shoulder+harness

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hi, great progress there, wondering of you could please tell me what MEK is?
Not sure if we have it in Australia.
Thanks!

21 - 40 of 189 Posts