Alfa Romeo Forums banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Nice work.
A friend of mine doing similar work with a similar tool pointed out that pulling the dent first from the edges where the dent is shallowest, then working in towards the centre gave him best results.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
To clarify, working not just from the ends of an elongated dent like yours, Keyspider, but from All edges (ie inwards from the whole of the circumference of the dent) worked best.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Thanks.

I figured that because the crease was long and shallow it would come out easy...
It did come out but as you correctly pointed out I should have worked around it.

I have to dress the bumps from the pull down a little and pull some low spots up.

I bought the shrinking tip to test that..
UNI-1007 Tip, Shrink Uni-Spotter? ? H&S Autoshot

Just ordered the narrow tip that allows you to put studs closer together.
UNI-1045 Eliminator? Side-By-Side Kit (1041 & 1044) ? H&S Autoshot

Can anyone advise on a Primer(Leaning toward epoxy) that I can put on after each section is bodyworked to protect it until the car is finished and goes to paint?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
Thanks Skip.
Need to get some soon.

Ok, so been a little distracted with some other alfa stuff...

Today, I was determined to make some progress and I did indeed... but I'd a little disheartened...

I needed to get the Factory Hardtop off, and out of the way, so I could get at the interior area, and prep to X-Brace the tub for the chassis repair.

Bought a Hardtop Cart... $59 + SH, a factory second of Ebay and all it had was some paint blemishes!
5 mins in my garage is all that would have taken!

Anyway, top off, I started looking at a couple of areas that I knew I have to fix...
Namely:
Drivers side Soft top Drain channel...
I knew the drain had been blocked at some time and moisture had been trapped and rotted out the area right behind the driver by the door...
This was the pic I took in 2006 or so...

And I took this pic today... so not much had changed...

Now, I had prepared for this repair by cutting that area out of my Donor Vehicles...
This is one part that I media blasted a little to see how it was assembled, so I could decide where to cut...

After chipping around on the '74. I realized that the back wall feels thin, and I probably need to replace the whole area from where it meets the fender at the top edge...

To better see what I had, I began removing what was left of the soft top rear edge and chrome trim, that goes around the tub...
As I went around, removing the 8mm soft top bolts, and the SS trim screws, my heart began to sink...
First I saw this...

After removing it all this is what I can see...
Drivers(LH) rear corner...

Mid area...

RH rear corner...

Clearly, the chrome trim/soft top piece had trapped moisture and it had festered...

I cannot find this rear panel that goes between the trunk lid and soft top listed anywhere.
I can probably template and make the channel, but I'm kinda bowled over right now...

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
After a sit down, and a cold beer I went back out at it...
Broke out the wheel of death knotted wire wheel, and DA, so I can see better what i'm up against...

This is what I have...

All along the rear deck, the metal is toast on the bend, where it was under the SS trim....

LH side is worst...

RH is not a whole lot better.

Even found a area where the paint was compramised on the top of the rear RH fender, and that was pitted so deep, the wire where broke thru.

The good news is, that in my donor parts, I found this LH section that covers the bad areas on the Left side...

And I have a similar part for the RH side.

So, the plan remains...
Brace the tub and doors, and strip the rear suspension off so I can build the bracing frame, while I order parts from the UK!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Further to my last post...

Pulled all of the parts I had stashed in the interior out...
Kinda surprised myself...
I knew I had floor pans and stuff.... But this I had forgotten about!:surprise:

Would also make a nice wall art piece!

Working on the principal that I will replace all of the floor pans, but I found some more stuff that will need attention.

Passenger side rear floor is bad.. but I knew that... water had been sitting in there with leaves and a nice rust poultice...

Driver side rear floor is slightly better...

Found a couple of small holes in the pass rear deck too.

Got my second wind, so going back out with the wire brush!

181 - 189 of 189 Posts