Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dreaming about Alfas for a few years now, and i finally bought my first Alfa. It's a pretty clean car from AZ and only has visible rust in the driver side floor pan. The paint is original and pretty dull, the interior is a mess, it needs a new top, and I'm sure there are other gremlins. Other than the routine maintenance, where should I start? This year I want to drive it some- perhaps weld in a new pan, what else should I be looking at in the near term? I don't need the car to be concourse perfect, but would like a nice example for the weekend which includes paint at some point. I used to own a fiat spider, and am able to do moderate work myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Where should I start?

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
My advice is make it safe to drive - brakes, steering, suspension first. Make it reliable - electrics, cooling, fuel system next. Make it pretty as time & money allow.

A car that won't start is a nuisance. A car that won't stop is dangerous!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Makes perfect sense. Brakes first. Anything special I should know or think about with these cars?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I concur: safety & reliability first. A pretty car that won't drive or stop is a nuisance or dangerous. Get it pretty later.

BTW, I'm doing the same thing this summer on a 74. New flex brake lines, rotors & pads are at top of the list. After that, install a new SPICA pump.

Then I get to start on rust, interior, etc! :D

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Step 1: If not already a AAA member, sign-up.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
My advice would be to give it a complete cleaning first, top and bottom. Then compound out the paint and make it as good looking as practical. Clean and paint the wheels.

My reasons behind that are it only takes a day or so, and then, with a nice looking car, you'll really be motivated to tackle the not-so fun stuff mentioned above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts