Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the middle of process of restoring 2000 engine, anyway, I dissassembled the pump, everything looks in very good condition. There is a thing that bothers me, If I rotate the shaft by hand, I feel slight resistance in one part of 360° turn-let`s say 20° is a bit harder, it is nothing much, but I can feel it. Should I be worried or is this normal?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
I have learned from experience when pulling them apart to mark the gears so you get them oriented in the same mesh, if it was good. One thing, loosen the four body nuts, rotate shaft til you find a smooth happy spot, if it'll do that, then tighten nuts slowly, evenly.

Andrew

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have learned from experience when pulling them apart to mark the gears so you get them oriented in the same mesh, if it was good. One thing, loosen the four body nuts, rotate shaft til you find a smooth happy spot, if it'll do that, then tighten nuts slowly, evenly.

Andrew
Yes, I will try to orient the gears until it will become smooth, good idea, thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
And, when you reinstall, once you get the distributor drive dog oriented right and the o-ring in, tighten the pump down but not fully. Rotate the engine over a couple times. Now put a big screwdriver in the drive dog; do you feel a small amount of gear backlash in each direction on the oil pump? Good. Now tighten down the bolts and recheck for slight play. If no play, loosen the pump a bit to get some, then try again. The key is, you want a small amount of play in the gears. You need the crank pulley on as least reasonably tight so the gears don't move on the crank.
Andrew

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And, when you reinstall, once you get the distributor drive dog oriented right and the o-ring in, tighten the pump down but not fully. Rotate the engine over a couple times. Now put a big screwdriver in the drive dog; do you feel a small amount of gear backlash in each direction on the oil pump? Good. Now tighten down the bolts and recheck for slight play. If no play, loosen the pump a bit to get some, then try again. The key is, you want a small amount of play in the gears. You need the crank pulley on as least reasonably tight so the gears don't move on the crank.
Andrew

Hi, thanks for advice. I would forget about oil pump orientation if you wouldnt mention. So, now I have 1st piston at TDC, pump drive dog slot is positioned parallel to the engine. If I put the distributor in it goes easy so think orientation of pump is correct. The rotor direction is forward like manual says, but not 100%, it is a few deegres to the left. Is this ok?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts