Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year Everyone.
Just purchased a 1974 GTV and need to replace the front seatbelts, the buckles are broken and no longer stay locked. Can anyone tell me if this buckle is original or should it have some type of alfa emblem on it??? Trying to replace it
as close as original as possible. Thanks
Outerwear Leg Light Hood Sleeve

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Your buckle looks like an original Klippan, However, the button differs from the version on "72-73 GTV. The earlier 2000 GTVs did have a sticker on the button. Perhaps, your '74 differs because they converted the seat belts to include retracts on the shoulder harness, while the '72-73 had static (non-retracts). Here is what the original '72-73 belt buckle looks like.

Helmet Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
24,494 Posts
They pretty much all break in time. The metal just falls apart. You might see if APE 925 200-1998 has any good ones, otherwise will have to find NOS or go with something else.
Andrew

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They pretty much all break in time. The metal just falls apart. You might see if APE 925 200-1998 has any good ones, otherwise will have to find NOS or go with something else.
Andrew
Thanks for the information Andrew, ill make some calls tomorrow and see if i can find a set.
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your buckle looks like an original Klippan, However, the button differs from the version on "72-73 GTV. The earlier 2000 GTVs did have a sticker on the button. Perhaps, your '74 differs because they converted the seat belts to include retracts on the shoulder harness, while the '72-73 had static (non-retracts). Here is what the original '72-73 belt buckle looks like.

View attachment 1717766
Thanks for the information, i wasn’t quite sure what they were suppose to look like, trying to keep as original as possible, learning as i go.
Thanks

·
2,497 Posts
Mid 1970s Fiats used the buckle without logo that you are showing.

My 1974 came complete with broken buckles held together with rubber bands. If the rubber band slipped off, you had to recover the fallen bits to unbuckle the belt. I've just thrown them out and went with new belts sold by Alfa providers.

Your 1974 came with the infamous seat belt interlock. Make sure it has been properly disabled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mid 1970s Fiats used the buckle without logo that you are showing.

My 1974 came complete with broken buckles held together with rubber bands. If the rubber band slipped off, you had to recover the fallen buts to unbuckle the belt. I've just thrown them out and went with new belts sold by Alfa providers.

Your 1974 came with the infamous seat belt interlock. Make sure it has been properly disabled.
Thank you for the information, hopefully i can find some with the correct logo.
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Thanks for the information, i wasn’t quite sure what they were suppose to look like, trying to keep as original as possible, learning as i go.
Thanks
Check out Photo 30 on this original ‘74 GTV and you’ll see that the photo Brian posted shows the sticker that is indeed different for ‘74 than ‘72-73. I have the earlier round stickers which might work for you, but you would need to remove the starburst that is currently on the button (which wasn’t on the earlier buckle). You can see from the photo that the latter square sticker fit over the starburst.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check out Photo 30 on this original ‘74 GTV and you’ll see that the photo Brian posted shows the sticker that is indeed different for ‘74 than ‘72-73. I have the earlier round stickers which might work for you, but you would need to remove the starburst that is currently on the button (which wasn’t on the earlier buckle). You can see from the photo that the latter square sticker fit over the starburst.

Thanks bellagt, referring me back to that beautiful 74 has helped answer the buckle question but also has answered several other questions i had.
Thanks for the offer on the round stickers but i need to replace both driver and passenger side buckle’s, they are cracked and completely broken and no longer dependable.
Hopefully i can find some suitable replacements
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Worth a shot contacting these guys:

Perhaps they can restore your belts, or offer a suitable replacement that fits, but keep in mind it’s probably best to have a new set of belts for safety’s sake. I have a “new” set for driving and keep the originals in case I want to show the car.

They're referred in this dated thread:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Worth a shot contacting these guys:

Perhaps they can restore your belts, or offer a suitable replacement that fits, but keep in mind it’s probably best to have a new set of belts for safety’s sake. I have a “new” set for driving and keep the originals in case I want to show the car.

They're referred in this dated thread:
bellagt, Thanks for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts