Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a car that a customer asked for us to assemble for him in time for this years Concorso Italiano. Assembly started about 4 weeks ago and we've made great progess. He purcahsed it from BB member wctouring#7 last winter. The car came to us painted and headliner from Re-Originals installed. All the parts...in a ton of boxes. Here's what progress has looked like over the past month.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Up next was prepping the engine bay for the motor. The powebooster got cleaned and rebuilt, brake lines cleaned up and connected, new brake and clutch master cyl., rebuilt radiator, and of course the motor was gone through as well.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We installed an Alfa BB Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust system on the car and got it running.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3hyPggHWqeg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3hyPggHWqeg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I'll post some interior pictures tomorrow. Wait till you see how that came out :D

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Man that is looking and sounding great. Brahhhhhhhhhhhh !

I wish my '74 was that far along.

Looking forward to going for a spin when its all done. :D

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
Beautiful! I have got to believe the big challenge is just finding everything in the boxes. It is bad enough when you know it's in there somewhere but when you didn't box them...

Question: Obviously you are mounting the engine separate from the trans. I have always installed them as a unit. As I understand it, aligning the transmission shaft is the big pain. Is that true and if so, how do you do it? Any other issues?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful! I have got to believe the big challenge is just finding everything in the boxes. It is bad enough when you know it's in there somewhere but when you didn't box them...

Question: Obviously you are mounting the engine separate from the trans. I have always installed them as a unit. As I understand it, aligning the transmission shaft is the big pain. Is that true and if so, how do you do it? Any other issues?

Thanks!
I like to install them seperately because it's less likely to scratch the car and it's also not really that hard if you know what you are doing. Normally, we remove the hood and do it from the front, but because the pannel fit on this car is so perfect, we opted to get a third set of hands and put it in from the side. It took us about 15 minutes. We've been doing it for years so it just comes naturally at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here are some pictures from today's progress. All the stainless trim went on as well as the rear interior pannels and seats. The seats are redone in German vinyl and the carpet is Mercedes Loop. The dash just awaits the gauge cluster and ignition trim. The wood grain pieces came from Centerline Alfa Romeo Parts. The top part of the dash was redone by the our interior shop as well. It's the best alternative to sending a dash to Just Dashes I've ever seen.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Will have to paint the steering linkage, and front suspension lower wishbones, etc. if he plans to show the car ... atleast for points, currently covered in red overspray.

Such an easy fix :). Otherwise looking brilliant!!
Pete

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Anthony,
The top of the dash looks great! Any before pics?
Next question, "How did they do that?"
Ed
I'll try and see if I can find any before pics and post them. The dash got sanded and had the cracks filled. Once that was done, it was coverd in vinyl. The vinyl got heated and stretched. You can't see where its cut off because it's all tucked under the lip by the wood. The interior guy has done a few now and they're all holding up really well.

Anthony
Great thread!
Nice to see you wrenching with your Dad.
I couldn't be happier!

Will have to paint the steering linkage, and front suspension lower wishbones, etc. if he plans to show the car ... atleast for points, currently covered in red overspray.

Such an easy fix . Otherwise looking brilliant!!
Pete
All the suspension and steering parts came off and got refinished. It's amazing how much paint gets in places you don't want even though they are supposedly masked off. I'll take some pictures of the bottom next time we have the car on the lift.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice work guys....i just realized that we have exactly 14 work days till the Concorso...wow, time flies...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Outstanding work!
Congratulations! Tha owner should be very happy with the result! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts